.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Invention, Running for Office

        I dreamed I was making a sleeper cover support. It was a wire that was sewn into a sheet so that you could put the covers up over your head, but still have them off of your face. You get the advantage of re-breathing your moist air, filtering out the cat fur, and not having the covers on top of your face. No smothering to get the benefits of trapping your body heat. As I was sewing the pocket for the wire into the material, I realized I might need to put in sturdier wire, the cats would be able to collapse the structure too easily if they decided to walk on it. Of course, that would be self limiting behavior, as the collapse would convince most of our cats not to do it again.

        I also dreamed I was running for some sort of office, assembly or some such. I was the "nut" candidate, with all appropriate props to Penn Jillette for coining the proper label for my positions.  The news reporters who were covering the race actually stopped outside a debate, to which I wasn't invited, and asked me some questions, I answered them, and suggested some questions they might want to ask once they were inside. I had tickets to get into the event, but the people at the door didn't want to let me in. I asked them, "are you binging me a refund, then?"

        "No." was the answer.

        "Then, I am going to take my seat in the theater and watch the debate."

        "You can't go in."

        "He has a ticket," said the sheriff’s deputy who was acting as security.

        "I'm not allowed to let him in." The ticket taker was obviously feeling overwhelmed.

        "Have you over-sold the theater?" I asked in a pleasant but louder than normal voice.

        People behind me became very quiet and then started to ask the same question.

        "Uh, uh...no, there are plenty of seats."

        "What's the hold up then?" asked a person twenty or so feet back.

        "They're just having trouble finding my seat. I'm sure it will just be a moment."

        "Typical." came another comment.

        "Yes, isn't it?" I asked. It was a perfect moment that I was sure would be on the Television several times over the next couple of hours.

        The cameras for the news had forced their way to the front of the line. At that point the manager of the event showed up and decided to allow me in after all.

        The manager was not very happy when I thanked her for providing more publicity for me than actually being in the debate would have.

        "If you make the slightest disturbance, I will have you thrown out."

        "I'll just be taking notes for my next newsletter."

       

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home