.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Random Images, Clockwork Themes

I dreamed I was flying over a jungle, or actually falling off of
a mudslide on a steep mountainside and sailing out over the trees far
below. Rafting on a stormy ocean so grey I couldn't see the boundary
between sky and water. There were red and gold parrots flying overhead.
Those events seemed related at the time, but now I can't say how.
I found myself sliding along the curved surface of a milky white
translucent sphere. Several others were there with me, intelligent
shades of color and shape, completely abstract. I think I was orange or
a deep yellow and SCV was a blue rectangle with a bite out of one
corner. N was a dark olive circle, part of which was pulled off the
surface and into the interior of the sphere. C and A were there on the
other side of the sphere where I couldn't quite tell what they "looked"
like. The perception/sense wasn't exactly vision.
A small fluffy kitten came and climbed into my pocket. I wanted
to pull it out to see if it was Chloe, but didn't want to frighten it,
so just reached in and petted the kitten between the ears. It purred,
and I wondered what it looked like. I could feel its needle sharp claws
on my thigh. It was pitty-pawing, happy and warm and content amongst the
change.
I was in a cardboard airplane, trying to prove that recycled
materials were safe. I wanted to coat the wings with the plastic from
recycled milk cartons for added strength before testing the wind up,
also recycled, motor.
I dreamed of a toy, a silver clockwork race car that dad brought
us from Germany or Italy, when we were 8 or 9 years old. I don't think
it survived the move to California. I have a much greater respect now
for the engineering of that particular toy, especially since it was
designed to be taken apart and put back together, even having its own
set of wrenches. (Although this may be a false memory, I don't think so,
my brother had a maroon or red model.) If we didn't have these, then
this is a strange thing, I remember it clearly, even awake.
I'm seeing a theme in these last three image/scenes. I also
dreamed of a clockwork doll/android. It was very lifelike, to the point
that I had developed feelings for it, even though I knew it was just a
large clockwork mechanism and one that needed frequent winding, more
than once a day, in fact. (I think this may have been inspired by
"Battlestar Galactica", which is replete with sexy "machines.") I was
trying to come up with a small electrostatic motor that would enable the
android to be wound just by being in the vicinity of power cables in the
walls. I don't know why the android wasn't electric in the first place.
Why didn't I have an electric powered winding station? Oddly, the
android brain was photon and clockwork both, so it was sort of a super
electro-mechanical flash ROM. When the winding ran down the android
brain would save itself as it was at that exact moment, then when wound
would roll back up. The android knew it had fallen "asleep" but its
thoughts were still in nearly the same state as before winding down.

Ad astra per technica,
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home