.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Wire Repair on Galactica


I dreamed I was on the Battlestar Galactica working on a network problem. We couldn't find out where the breakdown was until I started eleminating sections of the problem. The trouble was finally narrowed down to the wire on the wall. I started tracing the wires and found there was a break that had been badly spliced, multiple times. The wires that had been used to bridge the damaged areas were not the same as the wires in the original as for color or material. While I was fixing the problem I managed to get the network coordinator to come down and look at the trouble.
I laid out a suggestion that we standardize the connections and wiring, then we could use easily replaceable sections rather than re-wiring or re soldering the connections every time we removed a section. It was just a matter of putting the connector versions in place every time we found a problem like this one, or on mission critical wiring harnesses on a rotational basis. We went back and forth about the design and finally came up with a simple connector that would be the same on both ends and would be color coded so that there wouldn't be any confusion about which wire went to where.
I woke up thinking that I don't often have celebrity dreams. I had them a lot when I was younger.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home