.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

3d RPG'ing, Convention Seamster


     I dreamed more detailed 3d gaming world playing. I was sitting at the computer in the living room running a game for friends when I suddenly found the group of us in the form of our characters in a very richly textured 3d world, still obviously CGI, but much more realistic than any simulation I've seen. I was still the game master, but found myself in multiple places at once, that was very odd. I had a group of foes for my players that was attached to me, mirroring my actions, but with variations. I could switch between them in an instant, set them to action and then switch to another.
     All the while this was going on I have been able to watch the players from above and I could tell what was in the area around them. It was trippy, like having compound eyes. C was playing/Being her pixie, and found that it was relatively easy to fly up over the fray and shoot little spells down on the enemy. Even though some of the goblins were trying to hit her, she was so small and nimble they couldn't. ML was finding out just how much trouble his Big-Ass-Sword really was, finding at one point he was in a narrow cavern passage unable to do anything but poke it in front of him. Then when he finally got rid of his opponent he tried switching to his longbow. It took him far longer than he thought it would.
     "My character is way faster than I am, though!"
     "The game is AP based, not real time, your character gets ready as fast as his stats allow, really."
     "Well it just doesn't seem right."
     We went out front on the lawn. Him on one side, me on the other. I handed him a six foot 2x4 and told him to hold it out in front of him. We then put the croquet set bag over his shoulder, unzipping the top. I walked over to the other side of the yard.
     "OK, go!" I shouted.
     All M had to do was put the 2x4 down, then pull out a croquet mallet and a single ball to simulate readying the long bow. I felt this was being generous. Unknown to M I'd taken the keyboard wrist rest and tucked it into my belt.
     I started walking across the lawn, only after seeing him put the two by four down. I kept walking, pulling out the bean bag wrist rest.
     "Hey, what?"
     "Ooga booga!" I shouted then started skipping left and right, still not drawing any closer to him than a fast walk.
     I reached him before he could get the croquet ball out of the bag and tapped him in the belly.
     "OK, I get it. Still, my character is much faster than I am."
     "Do you think the goblins were just walking up to you when they saw you sheath, not drop, your sword?"
     "Yeah, Ok."

     There was another dream, I'd found the instructions to my sewing machine and was winding the bobbin with heavy duty thread. I had pinned together a sort of magic bag. (Which though I won't describe it, instructions can be found pretty much any where on the internet.) I had added a personalized touch to it, though, it was also a sketchbook cover with a zippered closure and multiple compartments.
     The dream skipped forwards, I was at a booth at a convention, selling the "Magic Bag, Sketchbook and Journal Cover" The sale price was $15, $17 with the "Full Color Secret Instructions" autographed by the seamster and designer. We also had a stack of journals and sketchbooks to fill them with, yes, at a bit of a markup. I also had a selection of patches, and a computerized embroidery machine to create new patches on the fly. The price for those services was a little bit higher. I had a "pocket" sewing machine to stitch the patches on the magic bag if anyone wanted. (No extra charge.) There was a charge to put patches on items that we didn't sell, but we were doing a good business on sewing patches on Utilikilts. Go figure. Yes, I was wearing mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home