.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Rapter Run, Theater at the Mount

       The first dream was something convoluted with a large hungry raptor involved in the plot. I think it was chasing us through the halls of an ancient underground ruin in the someplace very cold. Tierra Del Fuego, or Argentina, or even Antarctica perhaps.

       This was followed by the dream of going to work at the last minute on a show at the new MCHS theater. There was one of the AP's making a presentation to a group of four classes, all the while our tech crew were trying to assemble and paint sets behind him. The AP kept leaping about the stage, then over the orchestra pit then again back onto the stage with a drop and roll thrown in. The kids were hooting and hollering. Then one of our large set pieces got wheeled across the stage in front of him.
       Lots of booing and hissing from the crowd. I decided to head back and ask the crew to avoid moving things across the apron while there was a show going on, even if it wasn't ours.
       The Stage Manager was a "tough" who didn't want to listen to me, because I wasn't there every day. I explained that I'd paid my dues and understood his feelings, but that we should be supportive of anything that makes our venue look good, and especially if it involves people who have the power to make improvements in our situation, or to make things difficult for us. I suggested we just move upstage for the rest of the performance, not a big issue for us, we would have to do so during our own show.
       For some reason this triggered a completely unexpected and violent reaction. The Stage Manager grabbed my arms behind my back and started pushing me toward the wall. Obviously meaning to ram me into it. I started running towards the wall, we flashed by a couple of crew. I jumped up just as I reached the wall and ran up it enough to flip myself over the top of him, his speed carried him into the wall face first, and since he still had my arms in his hands he had no protection. I managed to land behind him without stumbling too much. I helped him up. "I think we'd better get you to the nurses office for some ice." I was pretty sure the tough's nose was broken. I was also sure I'd pulled both shoulders out of the sockets, but refused to show any of the pain I felt until this particular lesson was over.
       The director asked "What happened?" and she acted like she knew it was something she didn't want to have to deal with.
       I decided to help her out, "Just a little horseplay upstage. Your stage manager ran into the wall. We're just going to get some ice while the crew puts the base coat on the rest of the set pieces."
       "I ding I boke my node..."
       "Yeah, we may have to call the paramedics just to be on the safe side. I'll take care of the accident report, since I was right there when it happened."
       I figured I'd go right to the doctor myself after I got him shipped off.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home