.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Freezing Dive, Diablo III Again

       I was on a ship in the arctic. The seas were washing up over the aft of the ship as it was extremely over loaded. I had some sort of thermal dive suit, but the water was still extremely cold. I dove down about 30 feet, the pressure was terrible in my ears, but the earplugs were working to keep the water out. I turned on the lamp over the facemask and went to work, picking up a combination of Canadian and US coins from the bottom of the bay. The coins were mostly pennies, but every so often I came across a nickel, or a dime, and even a couple of quarters before I had to kick my way back to the surface.
       No mystery now as to why the boat was riding so low in the water. I suggested that we put some of the coins in the air boat and tow them behind, just to make things a little bit safer. The captain decided to put all of us divers in the boat instead. I didn't like the sound of that. So on my next trip down I rigged a couple of spare tow ropes to the bottom of the main boat. Then on the next dive I connected them to our new boat. It got foggy and dark. The captain, at least, allowed us to change into dry warm clothing before putting all of us divers off in the boat. He started the motors and pulled away from us. He towed us for about 15 minutes, further out to sea rather than closer to shore. Then he cut the main tow line. Some of the divers tried to start the outboard engine, but it was dry.
       I'd already had the spare towline up in the boat, so we payed it out, only slowly putting pressure on it so we'd be far behind, and hopefully out of site. There was no sudden pull on his engines to give away that we were still there. He headed even further north, then opened up the throttles and turned inland again. Where ever we were going, I don't imagine that anyone was going to be happy to see us. There was one thermal dive suit in the boat, I changed into it (brrr) and when I could hear surf I pulled my way along the tow line and cut us loose. I pulled the boat through the surf and use a tree to tie off the tow rope. The rest of the divers pulled the boat ashore. Fortunately the inlet we found had little tiny waves only, I was the only one wet. We found a couple of empty shacks, they had firewood and some canned goods. One had a radio. I was more worried about freezing to death, personally, as I was still wet, than I was about not being rescued. I know we would be able to call for rescue. The Coast Guard emergency frequency was labled on the radio. I just wanted to survive long enough for our murderous former employer to get away from us.

       The next dream found me playing Diablo III, and the characters jumped off the screen and extended the map onto the living room floor, and then into the kitchen. There was a blue demon of The Smith's stature that I couldn't seem to run down. No matter what the attacks were, he jumped and regenerated his entire health bar.
       "We need magical attacks that he can't regenerate," said one of my networked players.
       "But all of our attacks are magical!" piped in another. "We just need to hit him all at the same time so he can't regenerate it all."
       "I don't think we can do enough damage, even if we each could hit him with our maximum attacks all at once," I added.
       "Well, we could all switch to poisen, at least that attack would keep knocking him down some."
       "How about if we just lure him away and take what we need from his room?" I asked.
       "No, we need to kill him, he's carrying the item we need."
       "Can he regenerate if he injures himself?" someone asked.
       "I don't know." I said. I summoned up several bone golems and moved in close to him to put a curse on him. He smashed the golems with a single blow each. He teleported, right next to me. I noticed that his bar didn't fill up all the way.He struck me, almost completely emptying my life orb, then he teleported away. I drank a full rejuvenation potion. Sweating from the near death experience. I summoned up another golem, this time one that naturally returned damage. "It's too bad you can't repair these without going back to town." I said out loud.
       Five town portals popped into existence around me.
       "OK, I'm going to make an army now, back in a bit, keep him hopping." I jumped out and ran out to make some more bone golems. They weren't as tough as the first set, but they would be a distraction, I hoped. I jumped back and we began the process of hitting the baddie all at once, and allowing him to smack my summoned critters. I would then jump back for repairs while the group kept hitting the bad guy, when I returned I found a couple of magic items on the round, both of them had stats that prevented monster heal. I used them to make a couple of more golems.
       I thought to myself how nice it was to not be limited to one golem. Apparently the new limit was 5 summoned critters, of any sort. So I couldn't really have an army of undead like in the previous version, but the five were pretty powerful, so it more or less balanced out.
       "That was tough. Next time, can't you go into GM mode and make it more reasonable?"
       "Hey, we survived, didn't we? No one killed, I was the only one who even came close." I was a little upset that the smith had targeted me and my summoned critters almost exclusively. I'd run through over a dozen full rejuvenation potions. The rest of the team each tossed out two potions, as though reading my thoughts.
       "Thanks, folks. I needed that."
       "You owe me 200 Gold pieces," M said.
       "Sheesh!" I picked up the gadget the smith had dropped. Apparently only the player who'd killed the smith could use it. It was huge, three by three. I had to go to town and drop off some charms to make room for it. I was glad I still had most of my powers from my skills rather than the charms (mostly extra speed.)
       Our group made its way through the living room back up onto the computer screen and into the final chamber. The final chamber was guarded by 5 tendril sprouting angels. We couldn't hit them at all until I held them in the beam of the artifact. The team offered to carry some of my stuff so I could go get my speed charms. The angels seemed to focus on the player with the artifact. I did a lot of summoning on the run. My weakness curse seemed to work on the angels that weren't in the beam, at least reducing the damage they could do, even though we couldn't damage them in return. Like the Smith earlier, they could damage themselves, so the Palidin and anyone with a damage returned shield was at least hurting them when the angels attacked. As I ran from the angels, I dropped potions for my companions to pick up. The dream ended after we killed the second angel. I was thinking this was really tough, and we'd be in a world of hurt if I got killed, I wasn't sure anyone else would be able to use the artifact.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home