.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Furniture and Saving Leslie and a Kid

We were at Nan's old house and were going through selecting the furniture to move into our house because there was too much of my stuff and not enough of her stuff. We got to her old living room where there was a plaid Olive Green and Mustard wingback couch. We spent a great deal of time tugging on an old furniture cover, "I've got this much, how about you." Tug, tug. "OK, now I have this much." Tug back. "OK that looks even." Nan rolled up the cover and stuffed it in the old armrest. Now I know how big a cover we really need.
"Why didn't you just put it at one end and measure the gap the first time?" I asked.
"Because, if it fit, we could have just left it on." She pulled out an old sheet, "now let's finish covering it so it doesn't get any dustier."
We then went and looked at the carper, also green, but more of a true green with yellow and white flowers with a diagonal grid of 1/4-inch light tan lines through it. We decided to keep the carpet if it cleaned up all right. Nan decided to paint over the light avocado green walls, something more mint green and replace the wallpaper and chair-rail with a faux wainscoting. I guess we're keeping the whole room but only the couch. I really liked the full height hutch, but it needed much repair, new hinges, one pane of glass was starred with cracks, Nan didn't want to bother with it. I figured I would just send it out to have it done as a surprise, and if she didn't like it I would put it in my office in place of one of the particle board shelves.

Later we were waiting for Leslie to show up outside of Killer_Pizza_From_Mars )when someone came hot-rodding around the corner out of Jack in the Box. They T-boned Les's Volvo. For some reason the smoke detector shaped charges that were in all of her doors and under the hood were triggered. All but the on in the driver's side passenger door. I ran out and pulled the door open. We managed to get Les out of the car through the back as the charges were set to go off if you opened the doors from the outside, a lethal "panic" anti-carjacking system. I thought it was a bit on the paranoid side. I looked over into the parking lot and found the location of the charge from the back door. A small kid was standing on it. I raced over before he could step off of it and trigger it. Flying tackle, turning my back to the charge as it went off. I was hoping that by already moving away from the blast we could avoid too much damage. The charge went off and my ears popped and I was slammed into the air by a fiery wall. I rolled with the blow to keep from landing on the kid. We rolled over about 4 times and I felt the skin abraded from my arms, like when I laid over the minibike avoiding the station wagon, an all too real, not dreamed, event. Somehow the kid was uninjured, his mother was ecstatic, I was in pain. "Cell phone, call an ambulance."
"Oh, oh, oh! Are you hurt?" she asked wide eyed.
I just looked at her, there was still smoke coming from my back and legs where my clothing had burned off and my arms were covered with blood. “Passing out from the pain now,” and didn't even try to respond further.