.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Westys on parade, Red Nine

Nan called me late at night from my parent's house. I drove down, by the time I got there it was about 1:00 in the morning. Nan met me at the door and asked me to be calm. I was worried but when I got inside there were about a dozen people gathered in my parent's living room. All of them had little Westmoorland Terriers. Nan wanted me to meet them, the terriers, not necessarily their breeders. I laid down on the floor and met all of them, several were very sweet, burrowing under my arms and one bonking noses with me.

I was in the downtown area, staying at a small hotel, I was presenting at a conference, and one of the sessions was very early in the morning, and another didn't finish until 8:00, we then had an awards dinner of some sort. I spent the first night at the conference, and checked out in the morning. The car was packed up, my overnight bag in the trunk and the laptop and projector in the front with me, pretty normal and routine. I then went through the whole day, visiting various vendors, looking at software, presenting PC computer tips and tricks. I was enjoying dinner and a pleasant evening when I realized there was no way to safely drive home since I was a couple of hours away and it was already after 9:00 pm. I called and let Nan know I was staying another night.
I drove back to the hotel, giving a lift to one of the people I'd met at the conference. They'd never ridden in a hybrid before.
The night clerk pointed out that If I'd booked the two nights together I would have saved 30$, and did I want a Chinese luck bracelet. Feeling tired and just wanting to sleep I asked If I suggested I would buy a luck bracelet if he billed me as though I'd reserved two nights. OK, he said then went to prepare a new bill. While he was back there he started fitting a pipe with a coupler and added a new length. He then started flaring the end on a lathe.
A counter person, small, brunette, with a really cute haircut, came out from behind the desk to tell me something. I could not make out what she was telling me over the noise of the lathe the desk clerk was using. After asking to repeat herself a second time she pulled herself up on tiptoe to speak directly in my ear not to take the pipe thing, no matter what.
OK, I agreed.
She then pulled herself up and told me "Red Nine."
I said "Thank you." I was more than a little confused.
She then slid her face along my cheek and whispered it in my ear again, "Red Nine. Don't forget."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home