.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Mesa Dental, Airplane Crash (With Puppet Arab Hijackers), Found spam Poetry

        I dreamed I was in a desert canyon, large mesas all around. There were ancient temples carved in the sides of the mesas, and there was an oasis on top of a couple of them. The shadow filled canyon was also an oasis, but only small shade loving plants grew there. There were lots of birds and lizards as well as spiders and scorpions. The pools contained small finger sized fish and a large number of water beetles.

        I resolved to climb the largest mesa and see what was at the top. I started climbing, going about halfway up and finding a cave to sit in. I heard noises, and though I couldn't make my way deeper into the cave I knew I had found a shortcut. I set out and climbed around a narrow trail until I came to another entrance, a large ornate post and lintel carved out of the rock of the mesa. I entered and followed the winding stairs to the top of the mesa.

        Once there I heard a familiar laugh. I ducked into one of the carved rooms. CC was there, casting dentures.

        "I'm temping for Mesa Dental, just this week!" she exclaimed in her normal happy manner. "What brings you here?"

        I had a flashback, I was on a plane, and there was some commotion. Puppets, in the Muppet or Crank Yanker's style, dressed as Arabs, had hijacked the plane. Unfortunately we were nearly on the ground before my comments that they were just puppets, and their guns were fake, were taken seriously. By then it was all I could do to break into the cockpit and subdue the real hijacker. The pilots were missing, so I jumped into the pilots chair and hoped I'd spent enough time playing flight simulations to put us down in one piece. I didn't quite make it. I pulled a little too much on the stick and our flare turned more into a stall. The wings cracked from the strain, but I'd managed to get the wheels down under us and we slammed into the hard desert, which, for a change of luck, was very flat. We half rolled, half bounced, to a stop at the entrance to the cavern. Things were on fire, the emergency air bags all popped, after we’d stopped. The slides came out, but the jagged edges of the wings caused them to deflate. Everyone got out, and there were remarkably few injuries.

We'd been making do at the oasis for over a week when I finally decided to climb up to the canyon's rim to see where we were. I tried to hide my frustration, I’d wanted to climb the mesa the first day, but no one wanted to split up the group.

        "Oh, an airplane, yourself?"

        "Alan drove me to his work and then I just walked over." She pantomimed walking and swinging her arms up high in the air.

        "Cool, do you think he'd mind giving me a lift home?"

        "Sure, do you want to walk back, or should he come and get us? You look kind of tired." I think she meant stinky and dirty, but she was being her normal polite self.

        "I'm going back down into the canyon to let some friends know where I am, can you call a couple of cabs to come for them in about half an hour?"

        "How many cabs?"

        "Oh, enough for 45 people or so, I'll walk back with you when they're safely off."

        "Oh!"

        I headed back down into the canyon to get the others.  I wasn’t even the least bit worried that the connection between the two places might not be permanent.


More found poetry:

The mine, volcanic,

Can't wait anymore.

Tired of being like that,

so carbohydrate;

blood clot snooty.

Kool, lets go!

All that u need,

As rye as puddle,

To rectangle those volleyball

No eyeglass, everyone, augite

do reverberate whoever calico

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home