.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Infidelity, Stranded

I was at Felecita Park, helping N set up for her gig at the local Renaissance Faire. After the tent was up and bags were delivered to the proper corners I took a stroll out on the grounds to see who else was around. There were dozens of carnival rides and such, not what I was expecting for a Renaissance Faire. I ran into one of my former students who grabbed me by the arm and dragged me back to Ns encampment with an unnatural urgency.

When I got back N was bouncing up and down on one of her band members.

Ut-oh! I thought youd gone home.

Im glad I knew it was a dream.

OK, now lets get out of here, said my arm dragging former student. You can stay in our camp.

Thanks, but Im going home to sleep in my own bed.

Can I come over and use your shower?

I wasnt sure I could detach her from my arm even, so I was inclined to say yes.

I was then driving across a road that was partially under about 6 inches of water, it had a sort of sewer smell. I rolled up the windows and put the air on recirculate, but it didnt really help that much. I drove until I reached a place I didnt recognize, and the road had vanished into general swampiness. I tried to turn around, but there was no road behind me, either. The trees had even closed up over the path Id taken.

I stepped out of the car. I looked around, and when I turned back, the car was gone also. I had expected that a little bit, so wasnt too surprised. What was surprising was that I suddenly had someone I couldnt see clutching my arm again.

Even though I couldnt see who was with me, I knew I wanted to get them to safety. I looked around and chose a direction that lead to higher and hopefully drier ground. I figured if we could hold out until morning I would be able to find a trail or even a stream in the daylight.

I had the odd feeling of having been here before, so knew there were some standing stones a few hundred yards away that would provide good cover from the night air. There would also be enough dry wood and brush to start a small fire to keep the chill off.

It was very weird, walking through the forest with someone clutching my arm, stumbling along in the dark beside me, who I could not see, nor identify at all. I had the vague impression that my cling-on was smaller than me, had soft longish hair. I presumed it was N or some other woman.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home