.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Programming? Me?

I dreamed I was writing a game, and in the process I was normalizing the data tables for said game. I dont know now what I was creating; other than I had location tables, Time or Turn tables and an Entity table that had surprisingly little data in it. One of the tables had Time, Location, Entity fields in it. All three keys made up a combined primary key. (Each entity could only exist in one place at one time.)

I was thinking the table would have to be huge, but then realized that if you only had one time and location with an entity; it could just sit there until it was picked up or its schedule was somehow changed. You wouldnt be able to know where something was by simply querying the DB, but you could figure it out in the program by looking backwards to its last known location.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home