.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Temple and Cruise Ship Puzzles

Two of my four dreams last night contained puzzle solving as a main theme. I was in a Jungle temple. There was a large grey marble slate across from the temple entrance with a huge pile of magnetic hematite tiles. The puzzle was to arrange the magnetic tiles on the somehow magnetic slab of marble (which may have had a big iron plate behind it for all I know.) Walking on the floor of the temple caused ripples in the reflecting bond. I stood on the edge of the pond near the slab, and waited for the water to settle. I could then make out that there was a pattern on the bottom of the reflection pool. I carefully made my way along the curb of the pool, almost no ripples from that action. I stepped back into the entrance and could line the slab's reflection up with the bottom of the pool. I could see the pattern I needed to make and then stepped forward and, in a few more tries, got the right layout. There was a clicking and whirring, and the stone bench in front of the slab opened.



This same temple figured in the following dream, there was some sort of celebration in the works, I never did get to figure out what it was, as every time the priestesses entered the temple dancing in a rhythm that started to make standing waves in the reflection pool, Miranda would come and meow in my ear. This dream restarted no less than 5 times before my brain finally gave up trying to tell the tale in this particular fashion.

The next pair of dreams took place around a cruise ship. I was working on solving another puzzle, this time the image was spread across 12 diet Pepsi cans. What made this puzzle difficult was that you could only see the image after draining the cans and opening them up. I had managed to collect 10 of the twelve images and had puzzled them out as some sort of super submarine. I had lots of spare cans, as we had been getting our two free cans a day for the last week. N, MS, SS and I, so there were 28 cans total plus a few extras we'd picked up just lying around. On a whim, I turned all of the cans over and looked at the back side. Explaining to MS that trading cards used to come with puzzles on the back, sometimes. Sure enough, there was a faint image, it looked like a technical drawing. There were still couple of pieces missing.

Next dream was in the jungle, or above the jungle. I was hang gliding down a long jungle covered slope, only, no hang glider. I was wearing some sort of suit that was holding me in the air. As I drifted down the slope I saw the cruise ship about a mile distant. There was a market at the base of the mountain, just across the docks from the ship. I waved, knowing N was down there somewhere. MS came spinning over, shouting to look in the harbor as he whirled past like a human Frisbee. SS went shooting down past him yelling at him to "cut that out, you'll make yourself sick!"

I looped around, riding an updraft to rise back up to the height of the mountain. I looked back out into the harbor beyond our cruise ship. In the very clear waters of the harbor, I could make out the shape of a large submersible. Twice the length of the cruise ship. It had two conning towers. The aft tower was festooned with antenna. I thought back to the puzzle and realized that I had that piece, I had though it was the same as the forward conning tower, with scratches or flaws. I also noted that there was a third set of dive planes just aft of that conning tower and a few yards in front of the tail planes. I bet I had that piece also, it would have something different on the back. I kicked myself for not turning our extra pieces over and inspecting their backs. MS and SS were zigging back and forth over the treetops, MS having slowed his spinning down.

I arrowed down the hillside, hoping to pick up enough speed to take me out into the harbor before looping back for a landing, I wanted a closer look at the submarine. I discovered that as I got closer the diffraction of light off the waves was more pronounced and I really couldn't make much more out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home