.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Nightmare, Disturbing Content Warning Safer stuff below.

Nightmare, Disturbing Content Warning, Skip the first one if you're squeamish. I know I won't be reading it. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The white dog was back, someone had shot it and its backside was full of red welts from shotgun pellets. It's muzzle had been broken and when she dug her face under the door of the garage it broke and tore off.
The cats were in a panic. I asked Nan if everyone was OK.
In a horrified voice she told me "She killed Science."
I looked over to see her shaking and sobbing, covering her eyes. I looked to where the kittens had been sleeping. The brown tortie kitten was completely eviscerated, but the eyes were open and the mouth was going like the kitten was in pain. I didn't know what more I could do. I told Nan it was just reflex action and it soon stopped.
I had collared the dog, but even with nearly crippled hind quarters and a broken snout, she lurched after the kittens again. I asked Nan to gather up the other kittens and take them inside out of sight. I knew it would be unlikely for the feral mom to return for them after that, but we could hope. I couldn't believe the dog was still going so strong with all of the injuries it had taken.
This was a wake up in a sweat and not go back to sleep for hours dream.
 
 
 
 
 
OK, safer material starts here:

Better dreams later, one in which I was working on some sort of bridge, I had to span a couple of hundred feet, there was about 22 tons of bricks and mortar on each side, but I only had 100 tons of steel. I could have the steel rolled or formed into any shape I wanted, but any connecting pieces had to be made from it as well. I ended up designing a truss style bridge with lots of thin triangular supports, very fractal like with a arched span. I could use any local materials for the bridge surface, so ended up using some lumber recycled from a run down factory near by. It was an interesting project in that we had to build our tools as well as the bridge. Then assembling it was a challenge as well. The initial cables were towed over on boats (That we had to build. And then we ferried supplies over to the other side of the river. At one point we had to recycle the steel cables to make bolts/pins to put the bridge sections together.

The other dream found myself and a couple of women on a world, colony, that had developed an unusual social structure. Adult relationships were only authorized in trios, and those trios were further subdivided into three classes of participants. In the majority of households there was one person who was always the lead and the other two positions might be exchanged. In a few households all three positions might change, and in the family that was hosting us, the positions never changed. The lead for our host family was a woman, the second was a man and the servant level was a younger woman. Only trios had the right to vote and attend meetings in this colony. Each trio had one vote. The reasoning seemed to be that the trio prevented families from having a vote cancelling effect on one another as yes/no propositions would always have an outcome. In theory everyone in the triad had a say, but in practice I doubted it very much. Our little group qualified as a trio. I ended up being the lead because I was the senior party member. We got to go to a public meeting, discussing our contact, and it turns out that if we hadn't been a trio they wouldn't have even listened to us. And everything that I said or proposed to the counsel would trigger a question of my com padres seeking agreement. I found out afterwards that I could have asked for the same polling of the representatives. Singles or Duos were not able to fully participate in the political landscape, but apparently there was no bar to forming or breaking up a triad, so there were many political triads that had no actual family aspect. Interesting. 
 
--
ad astra per technica,
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home