.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Idylic Dream

 In my dream this morning I was 11 again and riding my bicycle through a town that was almost devoid of traffic. I may have been passed by a car a couple of times a minute at the most. I eventually turned down a dirt road at the end of town and made my way down along a stream where I found myself dangling my feet into the water from a small bridge, or what was left of a bridge.

The water was smooth and dark. I could see fish swimming below, and every so often a large catfish would rise to the surface and nibble at my toes. I pulled my feet up out of the water and put them down on either side of the fish. The catfish would dive down out of sight, then return a few seconds later from under the bridge. I played like that with the catfish, finally feeding him some of my sandwich. It began to get dark, and I knew I had to go. I needed to be back on the streets and pulling into my driveway at home before all the streetlights were on.

The bicycle had a flat tire. I made it into town and stopped at the bar at the end of the main street to call home and let them know I had a flat tire. One of the patrons had a repair kit, so we went and fixed the flat. I walked the bike over to the gas station and the owner opened up the coin box on the air compressor and pulled out a token and fed it in for me. I filled up the tire and made it home. Although all the streetlights were on, there was still some light in the sky, so I was allowed to stay outside until dinner was ready.

My brother and his friends were playing football in the back yard. My sister was inside reading in the front room window. I turned on an old radio on the front porch and listened to a radio drama while I was washing the grease and dirt off my bike.

At dinner I told my story about the big catfish, but not where, exactly, I'd seen him. I didn't want Dad to bring him home for dinner some day. I didn't think I could eat a fish after I'd become friends with it.

 

Apparently my brain really thinks I need a break.   

 

Ad astra per technica,

Fermius Firefly

 

Ad astra per technica,

Fermius Firefly

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home