.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Homeless Tree Dwellers

Homeless people living in the boughs of trees off the main paths. If you've made a shelter and a bed, are you really still considered homeless? Nonetheless, there was a troupe of gargoyles, or dragons or some similarly undefined entity coming to reclaim the branches of these distant trees, so myself and a Roc sized bird took it upon ourselves to evacuate everyone. We were waking them, and gathering their meager belongings and moving them out into a nearby hilly area, one with plenty of protected space and good cover from the weather. As the deadline approached I made my way back towards the trunk of a tall tree where a group of about 16 folks had set up apartments, and didn't want to leave. I spoke to them again, and did something with a spiral of air and the knot of a broken branch to create a video display of what was happening in a tree just about half a mile away. The creatures who'd called in their eviction notice were alighting, and tearing apart every indication of human habitation that had been left behind. They seemed particularly frustrated that there were no humans left to tear apart. Quickly they made their way through the whole tree, sometimes lopping off entire branches as they were, too "contaminated by human stink." Even though these were the first to arrive, several begged their leaders to be allowed to hunt the other trees for vermin. Their leaders calmed them down and convinced them to wait to offer their services to the other clans when they arrived, but not to get their hopes up.
The remaining dozen or more were suddenly eager to be leaving. We could see the cloud of flying creatures in the distance. Many rolled up their bedding and clothing and raced out to where the roc was waiting. She could only take four at a time. Two astride her neck and one on each claw. I got an idea and while my roc friend took the first load of children to safety. I contacted some folks on the hill and they began to lay out a grid of holes filled with water from a nearby stream. I started laying out a great winged structure, using blankets and clothing to fill in the framework. The roc returned, two light women mounted her neck, She grabbed the framework, from which dangled the remaining eight people and their belongings. I summoned a ferocious wind that helped the roc lift the framework into the air, and blew into the faces of our pursuers, slowing them. They all dropped out of sight for a moment, until the roc had enough airspeed to climb out. I continued singing an odd whispery tone that I could feel supporting the giant bird and her winged burden. After they were on a sure glide path I stepped into the air and ran across pools of hardened sky after them. Each step swirling into firmness then dissipating in a micro tornado as I left it.
The flying scouts of the gargoyle/draconia soon drew next to me, keeping a safe distance from my turbulence. They hissed in an airy tongue at me. I responded in kind. They did not like my answers, finally noticing the roc and her cargo far ahead. Unable to get to me, they beat harder and pulled away, after the roc. I sang ahead, a sonic laser. On the ground, pools of water burst to life, reaching up to the glider and snatching a rider from below. They were dragged down to the pools, I regretted not having told them what to expect. The roc released the glider, which, bereft of its weight, began to flutter and turn on the uplift I had maintained. I let it rise a while before letting go. It fluttered randomly into the draconia scouts, knocking one aside such that it had to be rescued by its fellows, leaving only one hunter. I ran even faster, since I no longer had to worry about the glider and the roc. No Draconia gargoyle was going to catch a roc, especially one capable of flying at speed with a full grown elephant.
Water covered the heads of the former tree dwellers, my companions would see them safe, and I thought that they could use the baths anyway. The remaining gargoyle dove at the retreating columns of water but was repulsed. Angry, he turned back to the lone figure running in the sky, and beat his wings against the wind to climb above me. The injured Draconia gargoyle shouted out at him to break off. The young gargoyle (I could see his youth) dove on me. I pulled an umbrella from my sash and snapped it open with a twirl, the twirl became a roar, and wind blasted from the edges of the umbrella in a visible sheet of condensation that grasped the diving gargoyle and swirled him off course and towards the ground. I heard the shriek of the injured gargoyle below me. With a twist of the wrist I pulled the young gargoyle out of its uncontrolled dive, and dropped it gently, well almost, into some thorn bushes. The injured draconia had regained its wings and was flying towards me.
"Stroke for stoke," I whispered into the wind in his direction, "I will not yield, but will return. That which would move, is moved. Sky touches water, touches earth, sky fuels flame, fuels life. Sky touches all. I touch all. Be warned, there is no lasting harm in my flight save what you place there.
"Piss in the wind!" The gargoyle cursed, and turned back to aid its companion, who was struggling to pull himself out of the brush. More embarrassed than injured.
I ran on, allowing the turbulence of my steps to linger as further deterrent to pursuit. I hastened to help pull the evacuees out of their watery landing pits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home