.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Beach Dream, Shark Attack!

Beach Dream,

Shark attack!
Shark attack!
Out of the water and don't look back.
-Possibly mis-remembered lyrics from the 80's

It was a lovely morning at the beach. The gulls were flapping lazily overhead, riding the morning thermals and circling high above the water, not raucous or annoying. There were about 200 people on the beach, some very attractive swimsuit action, and a couple of dozen folks in the water on body boards and just splashing about.
I was enjoying the sights and the warm sea breeze when the shark alarm sounded. I looked out into the ocean and I saw the classic shark fin angling towards shore, then two more, much larger joined it.
People started to panic as the shapes of the great white were suddenly visible in a large wave. The last few boarders rode that wave in with the sharks. Many folks kept running up the beach, but most stopped at the high water mark. That turned out to be a mistake. The sharks ran ashore along side the surfers.
Ran, up the beach, one on each side of the crowd. They ran on four muscular legs, the front legs each ending in a three toed claw, and the backs in a webbed lizard-like foot. The one nearest me snapped a bather up and bolted the top part of him down. They turned towards one another and began driving the bathers to the water line.
"Don't go in the water!" I shouted, and some of them broke to the left and right of the giant shark things, but others were too panicked and ran out into the surf, where smaller sharks were waiting. A lifeguard drove across the sand in one of their little quads, saw the size of the sharks and dumped the bike trying to turn it around. He ran back up the beach towards the sea wall, as though that would be a help. I ran to the quad, managed to start it and drove directly at the nearest monster. I slammed into its side with the Quad. The shark collapsed in a snapping twist that tangled his back foot. I managed to avoid the tail smash and helped someone get on the back of the quad. I gunned it up the beach, but there was no sign of pursuit. The police were arriving, so I decided not to take a second shot at jousting with the shark. Those teeth looked huge up close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home