.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Twinsville

Every dream sequence I had this morning had twins in it.

The first was me in college dating a curly haired girl, who, I discovered had a naughty twin. The naughty twin tried to convince me that I'd rather be dating her than her nice sister. I was thinking it would be nice to date them both.

Later I was in a town where there was a local warehouse that, when flooded, was used as an ice rink. When the adults were finished skating, I started teaching the town kids how to play broom hockey. We didn't have skates for all of the children. When it came time to split into teams, the town immediately split up into two perfect halves, one twin on each team. That had to be really confusing, but only apparently for me. Since I didn't have a twin I got to be the referee. It wasn't long into our game when the floor began to melt. We were soon sliding around on slush. I guess all of the rambunctious activity was too much heat. We opened up all the windows and sprayed more water on the floor. "We'll have to come back tomorrow, when the ice has had all night to form. I bid everyone good night, and was only a little envious that I had to go home without a twin on my arm.

Even later I was in town working in the soup kitchen, dishing out holiday meals to the needy. One of the women was very interesting to me, she had a lovely voice, and I couldn't see but one eye through her scarf. She wouldn't eat while I was looking, but also didn't want me to go, as I was the only one who'd spoken civilly to her in ages. It turned out that the only needy folks in the town were people who'd lost their twin. There was something profoundly sad about this woman. Finally another woman showed up and gave the masked woman a gift. I thought her eyes were familiar. The woman was about the same age as the masked woman, and I finally put two and two together.
She noticed me looking at them and admitted, blushing, that she was indeed her twin sister. I tried to get her to stay and eat with us, but she had to rush off.
The masked woman pulled down her scarf to reveal that her face was three quarters ragged burn scars. "I wanted to be different from everyone else."
I hugged her and told her she was different from anyone else. I liked her more than anyone I'd met so far. She wanted to know if I were really a twinless one.
"Yes," I explained, "I've never had one to lose. No twins in my family at all."
I noticed when we began to eat that the burn scars covered her arm and part of the back of her hand as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home