.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, December 19, 2005

On Ramp with no Good Options and a Police Job, Ninja Attack

I have a recurring dream where I am driving out into the desert, headed exactly the opposite direction than the one I want to go. Soon I will be arriving in a country or state that I don't want to hassle with visiting. I typically pull off the freeway at that point and find myself in a place where there a couple of freeways headed off into the hills in different directions, but no way to go back the way I had just driven. Last night I decided to head north along the mountain range and see if it would eventually lead to an interchange where I might head west again. I drove until I came to a town where three freeways converged. It was fairly good sized so I checked into a hotel and walked around the town. I put in my resume at a police station on a whim. They had a help wanted sign up for a computer support/forensics training position. When the desk clerk saw the position I was applying for she asked me to wait and called over her captain. The Captain looked over my resume, asked when I could start. I told her any time, really. I'd kind of like to see a map of where I was so I could plan to move my household.
The captain took me to their situation room and there was a map. I could tell I was never going to get to San Marcos from here by driving. I didn't say anything, but I think she could tell at least part of what was going on. She took me into the hallway to meet the other police officers, "We're in the middle of a shift change, this will be a perfect time."
We passed the women's locker room. "It's being renovated, we aren't really using it now." She opened the door to the men,s locker room. It was being used by the men and women. There were only a half dozen women in the department it seemed. They had one short row to themselves. Introductions were made all around. They greeted me warmly, a couple asked questions about their computers, I promised I would get back to them. There was a group of three black officers, and a couple of dozen white or latino officers waiting to greet me when we stepped out of the aisle. I noticed that everyone who greeted me seemed to see me as something different. I heard comments about that as I made my introductions. "Changeling and Computers, we hit the jackpot." A couple of the department chiefs started to argue, good naturedly, about who I would be assigned to first. The captain lead me away and we ducked into the women's locker room.
It was like stepping into the bat cave. I followed into an alcove that was like a vanity. We talked about a serial rapist case they were working on, and I pulled up the images of the victims. I found a photo editing program and started blending them together. The captain left the vanity and the system started making me up and altering me. Soon I stepped out looking like the most common elements of the criminal's previous victims.
The captain whistled. "If that doesn't bring him out of the woodwork, I don't know what will."
she offered me a service pistol, I declined, knowing that I could almost never make the darned things work in a dream. I took a stunner instead. "It would save the taxpayers a lot of money," she waved the pistol in front of me again. I pointed out that I wasn't rated yet to carry it, so we didn't' want to get the department in trouble. Besides, I think I can defend myself, I held up my hand and turned the fingers into long blades which I used to quarter a tissue box with a flick of my wrist. "I'm glad you're on our side." the way she said it sounded almost like a question.
"I wouldn't feel bad if there were a couple of armed officers close by, though."
"Let's go ask for some volunteers." She led me back into the office. There were plenty of volunteers, including one of the black officers, who refused to believe that Terry Fluckstien was a white woman when a few minutes ago I was a black man (as far as he could tell.) "Anything in my DNA past, I can look like." I took off my gloves and touched his hand. I could tell he could suddenly see me as the same black man he saw earlier, only in makeup and a long blonde wig. It was very funny to watch his confused look.

The ninjas were back, they broke into the house through all the glass sliders and the front and back door at once. I tucked N under the headboard and climbed the wall up into the corner of the room, one foot on the door sill, and one on the top of the door. My hands applying pressure to the wall and ceiling to hold me in place. The beeping of N dialing attracted the attention of a couple of them. When I saw the shadow of one below me in the doorway I leapt from the door, slamming it shut on him I cold hear him crash through the closet doors on the other side of the hallway. I landed on the one who'd come in from our slider. I could tell he didn't know I was above him as his arms were out in front of him. He fired a couple of rounds before I could topple him over backwards and disarm him. I could tell he was wearing body armor. I turned his helmet around backwards blinding him and breaking his nose. (I've heard that crunch before, only on my own face. Ouch.) A dozen rounds came shattering through the door. I caught a few of them before rolling the ninja in front of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home