.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Closed Captioned


Dreams this evening were closed captioned. I was so hard at work trying to read the captioning that I can barely recall any of the images or action. "Scoffs" should be replaced with "Feh!" kept going through my head like a post phenomenalist mantra. There was a lot of scoffing going on. My take on the world was not being well received by the crowd in the underwater bar.
 
I wanted to know how the underwater drinkers were keeping their drinks from mixing with the surrounding environment. I asked,
(CC) "Scoffs"
 showed in the CC box. Pretty much the same as anything I asked the underwater drinkers. I tried to get the CC to show "Feh!" but everytime I tried it just "Scoffs" at me. Harumph!
(CC)"Scoffs."
 
I tried to ask the people around me if they could make the (CC) display "Feh!" (CC) "Scoffs" and of course they would look at the CC and (CC) "Scoffs," would result. I finally had to spell it out. It still didn't work even when the others tried to say "Feh!"
(CC) Why would I say (Scoffs) it's just stupid!"
 
I tried whispering to the woman next to me, but the CC showed everyone what I was saying anyway. That was really irritating, too.
 
I made my way out into the night, where I fell into a deep dark hole. There was something soft and sticky at the bottom, like a venus flytrap. When the (CC) "Slurps" indication started I knew I was in trouble.
 
I unlaced my shoes and pulled myself out. The street was empty, the bar, and its underwater patrons was gone. There was no traffic from any of the three long flat stretches leading into the intersection.
(CC) Eerie wind across crossroads.
 
I buttoned my shirt all the way up. It didn't do much good as it was so short it kept coming untucked from the back. I turned to go get my sweater, but the bar was still gone. Since I couldn't see around the forest of the curved road, I headed down that way.
(CC) Rustling in the brush.
 
OK, perhaps this was a bad idea.
(CC) Werewolf howls
 
"Were wolf! Doesn't that sort of spoil the surprise a little bit!"
(CC) Inarticulate shouting.
 
"Ha ha, very funny."
(CC) Sarcastic laughter.
 
I kept walking and reading the sound descriptions in the CC box below the dream image. At one point the camera shifted to a long shot of myself walkin out of the forest on the road. The dark shape of the forest menacing against the cobalt blue of the (rather fake looking) night sky. The full moon overhead. Very much like a photo I took earlier this year. (Only without the house.)
 
There were then puddles in the road. My socks were soaked. I was worried about leeches. I checked the (CC). Nothing. "Feh!"
(CC) Scoffs.
 
The whole thing started to remind me of the playing with the echos bits from the early Warner Bros cartoons. I kept checking, but there didn't seem to be anything in the CC box that wasn't directly in the dream.

ad astra per technica,
FF



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home