.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Fresh Cut Tree Full of Surprises

This is a dream easy to trace its root. We bought our first ever cut tree yesterday. We use N's Dad's fake tree most years. Even though I never met N's father, it makes me feel a little closer to N's past to help set it up. It is a very well made artificial tree.
A couple of years we have gone for the living tree in a pot. They don't typically survive more than a couple of years in the ground. The longest was a small stone pine we managed to keep alive for almost three years (Mostly because we set it in a protected spot then promptly ignored it except to water it with the rest of the jungle.) The pine gave up looking much like a Christmas tree after its first growth spurt.
N wanted a real "Sacrificial" tree this year, so we made the pilgrimage to Home Depot and looked over the rather thin picking. We walked around the lot a couple of times when I spotted a fresh looking one. I could tell by how it smelled and by the brighter green of its foilage that it was very fresh. N ran her hands through the bracts. They were soft, like fur. Every other tree around it was like a porcupine. IT had to be ours.
We brought our fist ever cut tree into the house. I cut the twine off its branches, and along with the needles, a whole ecosystem fell out. Small round shiny black mites, silvery transparent long legged insects, and a tiny black jumping spider with white eyes and light brown fuzz on its adomen. They all looked up at the giant ape shaking their former home and scurried to find new lodging under our moldings. More cat toys. Christmas comes early for the fur children.

The dream found me watering the sacrificial tree, (we rationalized having a dying tree in the house by telling ourselves, it was already cut) and checking the condition of the needles and bark. I noticed a light green leaf, not like any ornament or pine needle. I gently pulled the branches away with one hand, and opened the curtains behind the tree with the other. There was a staghorn fern baby attached to the trunk. Its little bifurcated leaf was all of two inches long. I called N out to see our early Christmas present. While I was waiting for her to arrive from her office on the other side of the house, I discovered five more baby staghorns. Climbing the trunk were also two little frogs, and one large one, the large frog was colored blue and green with orange around the lower eyelids. It filled my hand it was so huge. It tucked its legs under itself and laid its head out along my wrist, soaking in my body heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home