.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Antihistamine Dreams, Possessed Car

Lasers in the Basement.
I was in a basement club where a Japanese man was using battery powered lasers to make a modern puppet show. I used my green light laser to pump up a performer's UV laser and he discharged it into a wall, setting the wood structure behind the plaster on fire. That was not good. We had to evacuate while I tried to find a CO2 fire extinguisher so we could flood the wall compartment and smother the fire before it burned up into the whole building. Several people would not leave even though the performers themselves decided that with smoke coming out of the 2mm hole it would be a good thing to pack up their stuff and leave. I found an extinguisher, and made it into a sort of elephant puppet as we lumbered over to the wall to put out the fire. No one had called the fire department at all. I had to use a chair leg to smash a hole in the drywall large enough for the hose of the extinguisher. I removed the flared nozzle earlier, that is what gave me the elephant idea.
Flying wing over City Street apartment.
Nan forced me to sell the house and the apartment was all I could afford after her retirement vacation and motor home. Nan was living in the motor home somewhere in an old avocado grove. I had a three story apartment with a homebuilt in the dining room. Dining and Kitchen on the bottom floor, livingroom on the second and one bedroom and bath on the top floor. I had a pile of sheet foam in the dining room. Later, I had assemble the foam into a flying wing shape, and two detachable winglets. Next time I was aware, I had twin tailerons and a dual canard. Finally I had a pair of jet engines and about 400 lbs of fuel. I had installed a pair of square steel tubes on either side of the dining room window. The window overlooked a long hill down City Street into the bay. (City street came to a culdesac on which the end building was my apartment.) One morning I opened the window, pulled the mile of surgical tubing taught around the front hook of the flying wing with a powered windlass. Climbe up onto the dining table and into the wing. I lowered the first third of the winglets into position and made sure the other two thirds would move freely. I released the catch and catapulted out into the street from two stories up. As I arched out over the street I fired the engines. Only one of two could be started at a time. While the battery charged I snaprolled the plane to swing the other two thirds of the winglets into the locked open position, by this time falling was slowly turning into flying. My gear touched the street as the second engine fired. I bounced back into the sky, barely passing under some power lines as I shot up past the buildings on either side of the street. I could hear the cars honking behind me as I shot over the bay on maximum burn. The solar panels began to charge the batteries and I climbed up to my cruising altitude and shut off the jet engines. They were a marvel of titanium engineering, each one weighed only about 15 pounds. The solar powered motors took over and I extended the middle winglets into full glide wings (also covered with solar panels.) I began to cruise in near silence. Spiraling in the occasional updraft and looking for the freeway that would lead me out to the airport in Palm Desert. I was going to visit my brother and his family before heading North to sister's place, then eventually up to Alaska where I had a commission to fly into an airshow.

Dead in the Desert
I found myself transparent and wandering in a vast desert, nearly featureless save for the small cactus and flowering ground cover. There were Vikings and Normans hammering on one another in silence. A pilot wandered dragging his tangled parachute behind him. It passed through the shrubs without catching on them. I made my way, no knowledge of who or what I had been, nowhere. I came to a road, something in me stirred to remember a road. I looked at the distant hills. st least they were not flat. I saw a crowd of shadowed figures in the distance down the road so I went towards them. More figures of the dead. This bunch was more animated but focused other than on themselves. I found them in a ragged circle around a pool of light in the desert. None would approach closer than about 40 feet. Being dead I had no need of caution, I reasoned, so strode up to the pool of light. It blossomed and a large Joshua tree sprang up from it.

The Tree of Life?
The Joshua tree was dead brown also. Covering the pool of light. Where there should have been spines there were bright spots of light, as though the pool filled the dessicated hulk of the tree. It grew in front of me. I longed to reach out and capture some of the light. When the lower portion of the tree began to dim I stood and hugged the tree. Needles of light pierced me and filled me with that light. It was painful and pleasant at the same time. I also began to become aware of a vehicle approaching in the distance, and aware at the same time of it's wrongness.

Bumpercar From Hell
The car careened around the corner under a stone arch. It bounced back over a berm onto the road and accelerated suddenly. A small child was thrown from the back window, she managing to grab on to the highly stylized spoiler at the last second. I flew after the escaped amusement car vehicle, it was open at the top and a family of four was strapped in with safety bars across their laps. Mom and Dad were glassy eyed in the back, a son leaned over the bar in the front limply twisting as the car bucked and turned.
A tyrannosaurus Rex rounded the corner behind the vehicle, causing the child to scream, a muffled weak scream.
A beam of light shot from the Tree behind me and the T-Rex vanished with a soft pop. A second beam passed my shoulders and hit the car. It slowed. I helped the child down and slid into the front seat next to the boy. The car took off again. Racing at impossible speed across the desert. In the car I could hear the parents screaming and the boy thumping unconsciously across the hood of the car.
We reached a deserted city, buildings fallind down and rusted sheet metal warehouses. The carnival ride crashed through a rollup door and rolled down a ramp into the entrance of the bumpercar arena. I flew out of the vehicle as it bumped down the entry ramp. The mom became aware enough to shout a question about her daughter. I realized I had absorbed her. "She'll be fine," I shouted out after them, although, I really had no idea if I could un-absorb her. I made my way down into the bumpercar track.
The track was laid out in a giant underground structure, there were disabled vehicles parked everywhere. Concrete bunkers filled the space. The ceiling was about 30 feet above and only about half the lights were working. I could hear tires squealing and the car bashing into things. I jumped up on top of a concrete bunker and inside I managed to drop off the child. She looked up at me and shrank back into a corner of the bunker.
"You're not too pretty either," I said and jumped out of the bunker as I heard the car roll past. It wanted the little girl back, but couldn't seem to get to them without damaging itself. The little girl looked out of the bunker and shouted to her parents. I jumped into the vehicle and absorbed Mom then Dad. The car raced away from the bunker as fast as it could. I couldn't stay with it without risking losing the location of the child. The arena was much larger than I thought possible. It was as the ramp had led not to a parking structure, but into another world.
I jumped from bunker to bunker, easily clearing the 20 to 30 feet between them. I noticed there were other bumper cars moving around the tracks of the ride. Only one was off the tracks, racing around and smashing into things. It was empty except for the boy. I wasn't sure the boy was even still alive.
The other vehicles were all unoccupied. I spotted the track to the exit and fixed its location in mind.
The family was reunited. I still don't know how I could unabsorb them, but it took some of the light out of me each time I did it. I didn't want to reabsorb them. I led them to the exit, hoping the car with the son would return to try to get them back. I suspected that the car was possessed by the boy. The family chose to run along the tracks rather than climb into another vehicle. I promised I would find their son as quickly as I could. They seemed to be resolved to the possibility that their son was gone. I think the parents suspected the same thing I suspected.
The possessed car didn't rise to my bait. Then I realized what had happened, he'd be driving out into the world and around to the exit. I swore for not having thought of that. I ran back to the exit area, leaping from car to car until I passed the family. I was beginning to fade already. They didn't seem to notice me. I took a car near the top of the ramp and revved it up and drove it off the track out into the carnival grounds, now dusty and deserted.
The other car was waiting, I charged it. It dodged me the first time, then swung around again and peeled out towards me. I crossed the gap between our vehicles just before the glancing collision. I could not absorb the boy.
Frustrated, I entered the boy. I was small again. I ached every where. I was cold, almost frozen. The light from my core spilled out into my new flesh. The car spun around and chased after the now driverless vehicle. I'd just been in. I slipped back into the seat, upright. I felt my lungs fill with air, the heart in my chest pounding. I stifled a scream. I offered to exchange places with the boy's spirit, which I now knew was animating the car. He didn't want to go. He slammed on the brakes and the restraining bar popped open, almost dragging me out of the car with it. The driverless car bumped us from behind and I tumbled into the back seat. Then stood and stepped over into the car that had locked bumpers with the kid's car. I slipped down below the dash and stomped the brake. We separated. I rammed the accelerator. Bumping the possessed car off the roadway down into a gully. I jumped out of the car and let it roll into the gully on top of the possessed car. I knew it would take a while for them to get untangled. I ran back to the family. I hated to dash their hopes so waited until after many tearful hugs to tell them we had to go back out the other entrance, this was still part of the other world.
Then I leaned up to dad and whispered in his ear. "I couldn't save your boy." He froze. He looked at his teary eyed wife and daughter, he took me by the hand.
"We have to go back out the way we came into the ride," he pulled me with him to the ramp into the ride, acting like he was leading us, but feeling for my indications of which way to go. "Lets get out of here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home