.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

The Author and the Aunt

        I dreamed I had just celebrated my 60th birthday and was celebrating by taking a charter plane to New York City to do some Television interviews. I was on the plane at the last second, sort of as human ballast, I think. Everyone on board had the same black carryall case with the pull up handle. The only difference was that all of the cases but mine had little zipper pulls on them.

        I met a boy, about eight or so, who told me he was an orphan. He introduced me to his aunt, a pretty Japanese woman in her forties. I said the appropriate commiserations and our chat turned to other, happier topics. He was going to live with his aunt. He noticed that my bag didnt have a zipper pull, so dug into his own luggage to find one for me. I gave him a copy of my book, (It had a picture of Meteorus on the front and Myself on the back.) I told the aunt that he might want to wait a couple of years before digging into it.

        There was some sort of tussle in the front of the plane, and suddenly the door next to me was flung open. A black case sailed past me and slammed into the hatch. Dangling by a strap. I reached over and buckled the kid in place. Several men came down the aisle and after a very brief struggle, strapped something to me and tossed me out of the plane, knocking the bag loose in the process.

        I was falling next to the case, which had come open. There were huge wads of cash all along the route of my fall; they had obviously fallen out of the case. I grabbed them as I dove after the bag. I stuffed them into the bag when I caught up to it. Held it tight and started looking for a rip cord, assuming that it was a parachute that had been strapped to me.

        No such luck. It was an inflatable life vest. At least I was out over the water.  I wondered if the case could provide any cushion for my landing.

        I heard a yelp behind me and the aunt dove towards me. She grabbed the bag , which I had wrapped my arms through the carrying straps. She started kicking me, trying to get me to let go. I held on as her parachute opened. It was a para-glider type chute, and we spun out of control towards the city. It was obvious that I was way too heavy and in an awkward position for controlling the parachutes descent properly. We spun around a building that was under construction, it was all wrapped in plastic tarps. As we swung up level with an open area the aunt lost her grip on the bag, and me. I plummeted through the plastic and swung down through the new glass windows of the building. Oddly, that was enough to cushion my fall. I felt bruised all over the place and wondered if I was now going to bleed to death from the glass.

I lay there, out of breath and thankful to be alive. I noticed that I didnt seem to be bleeding.

I dont know how long I was there, but long enough for some very angry Japanese men to show up. It didnt take too long to figure out what they were angry about. The only money in the bag was what I had picked up during the fall. The rest of the bag was an eight year olds traveling clothes and toys, and the book Id just given him. They tossed everything back in the bag and left it there to focus on me.

        Just when it looked like I was about to be tortured (like I could hurt any more than I currently did) the aunt showed up. She swept into the room and knocked a rifle out of one guards hands, a cell phone out of another. Then she dropped them both with a couple of swift hand movements. The rifle slid across the floor hitting me in the face. I discovered that there were still places that hadnt been hurt yet.

The aunt kicked the legs out from another and as she fought with a third.  One came running up the stairs into the area, drawing a pistol as he ran. Soon others joined the fight and they had her pinned. On top of me. Im sure I would have enjoyed it if everything didnt hurt. Could we try this another time, maybe.

One approached her, unzipping as he did. I picked up the rifle and shot the one who had a gun, then the one with his member hanging out. It was enough of a distraction for the aunt to get free.

Wait! I shouted after her, tossing the boys bag, including all the money, to her. Hell miss his toys, and hes all ready lost enough. I turned the rifle back on the few remaining thugs.

The aunt grabbed my arm, causing me to shoot one of the thugs. Sorry! I shouted.

The aunt yelled something in Japanese, which I could only interpret as lets go!

It was only as we were running up the stairs, and then sliding down a thin cord that I realized she was covered head to toe in a black form fitting outfit with some sort of thin armor plates, and the traditional ninja mask. It was also obvious that although she was in great shape, she was a little soft in the curves.

Thats a nice look for you.

Haircut, shave next, you too obvious.

My pictures on the back of ten thousand new books. A haircut and shave arent really going to fix that.

We landed and she did something that turned her outfit into a classy looking black dress with leggings and a hood. She looked at me as she waved down a taxi, judging. Airport, pick up Jeru, she thrust the childs backpack into my hands. Ill find you.

I climbed into the cab and when I turned to ask her name, she slipped into the crowd, holding my book. I hadnt even seen her pull it out of the bag.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home