.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Hillside Restaurant, Landscaping, Green Rock

I was eating at my usual place, a white stucco Hillside restaurant with the tri level patio that overlooked the restless gray ocean. I was on the top level, back to the sea, huddled into myself against the wind off the sea at their breakfast counter. They had started serving micro-waved pastries for breakfast, they were horrible. I ended up going back to talk to the owner and asked if they still had a baker in every morning. They did, so I asked if we could go talk to him a second. I showed him how to braid the bread with butter and cinnamon sugar and suggested that if he just made a few of these every morning with different insides, they could replace their micro-waved garbage with real hand-made coffee cakes and breads. Much healthier and better tasting, as well as less expensive. The owner was amazed at the flavor the fresh coconut and raisins added. This is one of the locations in the city I have dreamed of since I was a child. Though its internal architecture is somewhat variable, it is always accessed from a hilly street on the lee of some rolling building congested hills. One has to climb up steps that switch back up the hill, protected by white-washed stucco walls with brass lamp fittings every ten feet or so, and at the corners of the landings. Once inside there is an L shaped dining room that hugs a huge counter behind which is a kitchen with two large iron stoves set onto an equally large pair of stone ovens. Heading out the short end of the L takes you down the back of the hill where there are three dining areas, the second level down being a sort of bar that is used in the morning for breakfast. And in the evening for drinks. There is a large mirror which allows one to look out over the seething ocean and the rocks in the distance in the morning, and across the dance floor in the evening. There is a lower level, without a roof, that allows dining while exposed to the elements. It is rarely used outside of the summer season.

I dreamed I was visiting my parents house, they had changed out the landscaping of their front yard. (Frustrating, because the week before I had weeded the whole front yard. As opposed to the half I did last week.) There were two tall multi-armed pines with a thick layer of dross beneath their tentacle like branches. I commented on how we really didnt need to pick up the pine needles as they would make a nice looking, as in natural, look for the front yard. I suggested putting in some large gray stones to sit on under the trees.

In the open area next to the driveway there was now a brass sculpture of a Goose and a Lion. The sculpture came to life, the goose running straight over to my mother, who hates birds but most particularly geese. It began to strike at the hem of her knee length skirt and she backed away with the others following trying to dissuade the honking animal.

I heard movement behind me, Welcome to the family, I said to what I thought would be the lion. As I turned I could see that it was not a lion, but some great ape with a white and tan mane surrounding its very intelligent face. As he walked by me I rubbed shoulders with him. His fur was thick and soft while somehow managing to be thick. This was no ape I had ever seen before. My family was slowly backing up towards the open front door of the house.

Stop backing up and say hello. I told them. The great ape stopped at the curved edge of the driveway and sat back on his haunches. I stepped next to him and put a hand on his shoulder. He was relaxed and not preparing to run or fight. I knew that might change in an instant, but for the moment he was at peace. The ape uttered some stuttering syllables I could not understand and the goose turned back into bronze.

There was a third short adventure this morning, but I cannot now recall anything but the sound of running water and the need to climb to the top of a green and black rain slicked rock the size of a house.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home