.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Tunnel with Organ Donor Detour.

I was driving my car into a tunnel. The road was switching over to the other side, and I was the last car in, so a crew was already removing sections of the road for maintenance. I had to work at getting Little Red's wheels on the parts of the road that were still in place, managing to navigate mostly to the bottom of the ramp without trouble. Unfortunately, because of how slowly I made it down the ramp, there was no road left when I got to the actual entry of the tunnel. I had to bump and scrape over the steel girders of the road's under structure.

            I had to get out of the car and allow them to roll her up into a carwash type conveyor. I then joined a group to walk through the tunnel. There was a bunch of stairs down and then back up. We found ourselves in a sort of canyon like setting, complete with gravel and bushes along the side of the path. We made our way up the hill, the lights were hidden behind cloud shaped shades, and the ceiling was painted blue like the sky. We came to a two and a half foot wide tunnel in the hillside. Our guide indicated that this was a shortcut to the next section; the tunnel floor was a slide smooth surface. It went down about 80 feet that I could see then curved more level, blocking any further view. Everyone was sliding down into the tunnel. I asked the guide what someone like M, a friend of mine who was close to 400 pounds would do. He indicated that the trail went around the bend and up over the rest of the hillside.

            I wasn't too sure I wanted to slide down the tunnel, so took a little walk up the hill to find that the path was overgrown and disused. No one had come this way in a very long time. I didn't think that made sense. The guide, who'd acted like he was going into the tunnel didn't, instead turning around and heading back down the path. I didn't like the feel of the whole situation. The guide was speaking into his radio, but was too far away for me to make out what he was saying. I crept back to the trail and climbed up over the canyon side, spotting the conveyer belt of cars; most of them had their passengers in them. I got a very bad feeling about things, and raced down to catch up with Little Red. She had some sort of sticker on the front that the other cars didn't have, so I took it off and hid it under the passenger seat. The conveyor belt pulled us through a flooded section of the tunnel, water dripping from the ceiling. I was very concerned about the fate of the people who'd been convinced to slide down the tunnel, they would be far below the current water level.

            I had no way of getting back to them short of abandoning Little Red and climbing back over walls to the trail. I knew I was going to have come back on foot after getting my car out of the tunnel safely. I noticed the other empty cars being pulled off the line ahead of me. A crew approached my vehicle as though they were going to take mine off as well, but were confused when they didn't see the window sticker. I decided to bluff my way through, cracking the window a bit. "That was it." I said.

            "Yes, sir, have a good night" they responded with a little half salute. They wandered back onto a catwalk and I could see them headed down stairs.

 

            Right before waking the dream shifted to the foyer of an office type area. There was water coming from the fire sprinklers, though they weren't spraying full force. I was walking past a couple of people in scrubs. They were talking about the potential donors. I really didn't like where this was going.

 

Ad astra per technica,

FF

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home