.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Rabbit Guides: Ned and Ted

Drog20060906

      I was on the African Plains, or so I judged by the charging rhinoceros. I managed to dodge out of the way.
      "Why don't you shoot it!" some one shouted from the jeep as it drove off without us.
      "They're endangered enough!" I shouted back at them as the driver attempted to outmaneuver the charging rhino.
      As the rhino chased the jeep off out of the dream I turned to my companions and suggested that we head for the stand of trees in the distance, as there would be water, and likely, therefore, a home or two with a radio. We could get someone to come and get us out back to our hotel.
      We started across the grasslands, coming across a couple of rabbits who introduced themselves as Ned and Ted. My companions and I didn't think anything of talking rabbits so accepted their guidance and followed them to the oasis.
      On the way to the oasis, hyaenas attacked the rabbits ahead of us. I leveled my rifle, knowing that I wouldn't be able to shoot them directly, I fired at the ground behind them. The bullet shattered a rock and one of the shards struck Ned in the chest. She fell over. They hyaenas took off, that part, at least, going as I'd intended.
      Ned had a small pinky nail sized square ended chunk of rock sticking out of her chest. She was still breathing and her heart was beating very fast (even for a rabbit.) I got her to calm down and decided not to try to remove the rock, as I didn't want her to bleed to death. We took off running, me cradling the injured rabbit, trying to run smoothly as possible. I knew there was a Vet in residence at the hotel and vowed to pay for the helicopter ride to get us there in time.
      "Should I call them on the cell phone?"
      "You've got a cell phone?" I nearly shouted at them.
      "Yes. What? I didn't want to use up my minutes!"
      "Just get the helicopter out here, now!"
      I stopped running and did my best to keep the bunny comfortable and still. Ted hopped nervously back and forth, saying "The hyaenas would have eaten us both, you did the right thing, it would have eaten us both."
      I couldn't detect any exterior bleeding hardly at all, so hoped the internal bleeding was also minimal. I could tell by looking that the rock was mostly stopped by the rib cage, so I hoped it was not a long sliver and the wound would turn out to be just a flesh wound.
      "It itches," Ned complained. I kept her from kicking at it.
      "Leave it, I don't want you to start bleeding everywhere. We'll get you to a doctor and it'll be out soon."
      "Listen to him, Ned, he's right, it's his rules, it's going to be all right."
      "It itches, Ted, I just want to scratch it a little."
      "Resist the urge, tell me a story, Ned, tell me a story."
      Ned started to whisper in a language I couldn't really follow, and seemed to be so caught up in her tale that she forget she was itchy. While she and Ted were conversing, I spotted the helicopter. My companions started jumping up and down, flapping their arms maniacally. I realized how silly they looked in their short pants and cargo vests with their safari hats. I was in long pants, and a heavy linen shirt. I did have the cargo vest as I was carrying cameras and batteries and a box of ammunition for my .308. But the shirt was a bamboo print and the pants were brown not white. I did have a safari hat, but one of the sort made of straw rather than heavy canvas and plastic. Ned was cooling a bit so I held her closer, trying to stave off the effects of shock. Ted climbed up into my lap to snuggle next to her. I appreciated his confidence, and hoped it was warranted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home