.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Taking a (Photo) Hike, Making Change

Taking a Photo Hike with N, C and SV. We came to a very steep mountain just before sunset. There were several flights of stairs up the side of the mountain. The steps were a rickety wooden contraption with handrails all catiwumpus. As we made our way up the stairs, we came to a landing and stepped out onto a path to let about 20 people go by as they went down the hill. They didn't have flashlights so were in a bit of a rush to get off the staircase before dark. It was a shame as the sunset was looking to be pretty exciting. N and C decided to take the level trail around to the west side of the mountain top, rather than climb all the way to the top right now. They didn't want to miss the sunset and because the steps were on the south east side were afraid that they wouldn't be able to climb fast enough to get to the lookout at the top before sunset. S felt that he could make it so we started up to the top, S taking two steps at a time. I was keeping up with him by taking one at a time, just going faster. S asked if my feet were OK. I pointed out that they hurt the same whether I was moving or not. It would be my calves that would be complaining later, especially after we headed back down in the morning. We reached the top and I managed to get some great photos of the sunset. I also took some silhouettes of folks at the lookout point, and was able to get a shot of N and C by hanging out over the railing at the top of the lookout. They were about 200 feet below us sitting on some rocks, C out over the edge, but N up against the mountain. They waved their LED flashlights at us and said they'd be up after the sun set.
 I was able to get some more shots of the sunset, and then took some timed exposures that came out quite pretty, sunsets, with stars. S's camera didn't do so well on the timed exposures.
 We went into the clubhouse and there was a bathtub full of blue liquid with darker blue thick gelatinous things the size of my thumb floating around in it. The whole thing looked like it was setting up like gelatin. A rather voluptuous blond woman stripped out of her clothing and stepped into the tub, posing for photos. S mentioned that the blue things looked like leeches, but she insisted that they were giant blueberries. Fortunately there were no disasters, and the large fake blueberries were harmless. Somewhere I managed to find some fill flashes and a couple of reflectors and shot about 100 frames, filling up a Gig memory stick. The model paid us about $500 and let us keep the fill flashes and the reflectors. She kept the memory stick. Eventually N and C made their way to the top, and we decided to rest up here rather than head back right away.
The last dream I remember this morning had me buying a $1.25 ticket to some sort of elementary school show. The parent who was making change complained that she was running out of quarters. So I started emptying my pockets and tool bag. I managed to scrape together five dollars in change (well four dollars and a $1 bill) and was trying to get her to give me a five for the change. She had some sort of mental block about adding up the dimes. I tried two or three times to lay them out, but she seemed to have difficulty with the concept that five dimes was the same as two quarters. "How can an odd number of things equal an even number of things." 
 As tempting as it was to accept her offer of four dimes equal to two quarters, I couldn't rip off the kids. So I managed to get her to take them "as a donation."
Ad astra per technica,
FF


Yahoo! Mail
Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home