.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Day in - Review?

Went and saw the ..."Desolation of Smaug" offering in Mr. Jackson's Hobbit series. It intruded rather forcefully on my dreaming.

Started out at a big gathering of comic fans, not the SD Comicon, however, another smaller event here in the North County. I was watching a bit of news in the lounge when a story came on about the past president of an organization my best friend is now serving as president of. I was trying to dig his phone number out of the cell phone (I have a horrible memory for numbers these days) when there was a huge ruckus on the display floor.

I rushed out just in time to see Smaug roaring across the floor, to much applause, then breaking out the wall on the far side. Panic ensued, as that no longer looked like a special effect. The dragon took off, then banked back around and started to spout flames as he dove down for a low level pass. Someone from the display floor flew their little computer controlled copter into Smaug's eye, causing his head to turn, and his flames to shoot harmlessly into the sky. Other little advertising drones shot into the air after the dragon, but none reached it before the dragon smashed into a large concrete building across the street. (The little drones were from the preview ads before the movie.) The drones all hovered in unison over the site of the crash, staying in formation and recording everything so it could be watched on monitors amongst the various display booths.

I called MS and warned him that his predecessor was in the news being arrested, so he should be prepared to give interviews, or not, but thought he should be forewarned. He did decide to give an interview, turning it deftly into a nice promotional piece for his group. While he was talking he was ticking off his points on his fingers, using a skeletal finger which somehow arched out from the back of his hand and over the top, like a spidery leg of the spiders in Mirkwood from the film. At that point I woke up, wondering why I didn't just re-dream the movie, like usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home