.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Aliens Crash into Hospital

DROG20140109

Sunday night the thick layer of clouds over the Poway basin were lit up like lightning. From the vantage point of the VZ’s back yard I watched a car sized meteor clip the top of Pomerado Hospital and smash the medical building across the street. Smaller chunks of smoking rock smashed into the ridge line and into the parking lots leaving craters and showering the hill sides with burning debris. Mr. VZ brought out a pair of binoculars and a hunting rifle with a scope. I was looking through the scope when I spotted creatures coming out of the largest meteorite. They were in some sort of dull metallic protective suit, and I knew they had to be tough to have survived that crash. They started randomly shooting a weapon that looked like a large stapler, however, golden yellow bolts flamed out on everyone and everything they hit.

I figured that anything that could survive crashing in a meteor wasn't likely to be phased by anything as simple as a bullet. However, I had the rifle in hand, and it looked like there was some sort of seam at what looked like a faceplate of the creature. Even if you couldn't hurt the critter inside, I wondered if we could blind them. I lined up a shot at one of the aliens who'd climbed on top of an SUV and was just firing at the other cars in the parking lot, especially ones where people had taken cover. The shot struck the corner of the faceplate near some little round indentation, and the thing shattered. The creature turned, trying to see where the attack had come from, dropped its weapon, grabbing at its head, then collapsed. "Get online, we need to let people know how to stop them."

Indeed, twitter was full of chatter from all over the world (hash tag "alienInvasion") so we added to the postings with a quick drawing of the alien helmet and the section I had hit with the rifle.

I looked over the back fence, this time with the binoculars. The aliens were suddenly no longer visible to us, having gone to cover. Their firing had stopped, and I could hear the sirens and see lights from a police helicopter. After a couple of minutes I saw another alien fighting off the local sheriffs, their bullets just bouncing off of the alien armor. I took up the rifle and made another shot at the sensor spot, but missed. In the confusion of the firefight, it didn't notice. Suddenly, I noticed a lot of bullets hitting the thing in the prime target area, finally one connected and the creature went down. A third alien appeared, but this one was holding an arm up over the weak spot, only occasionally uncovering it before moving to a different position, and continually firing. I wondered how long the alien could keep up that rate of fire.

A police car peeled out as the alien crossed a parking lane and intercepted the creature, there was a loud crash and the car and alien slid thirty or forty feet. The alien stood up and backed away from the car, unfortunately the weak spot was on the other side of it from my perspective. It raised its weapon and then backed up a little further before firing into the engine compartment of the wrecked car. Apparently it didn't want to be hit by the splash of its own weapon. I added that to my twitter feed. (Well, had CL add it as I was still waiting for an opportunity to take another shot.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home