.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Server Error

Every so often, work intrudes into dreamland. This morning, I was dreaming along, something about running an online RPG with several friends, when suddenly the server went down and we were all disconnected. Not a big deal for the few of us that were at the house, but for the three people who were connected online, a problem.

I called up the company, and the dream froze, with a message that the server was offline. Yep. I woke up and called the company to see what the estimate on the dream outage was, or if it was just my brain.

As I was waiting, listening to the hold music, I noticed that the hold music was looping. I started up the task manager. (I didn't even know I had one.) Sure enough, the customer service application was not responding.) I tried to end the task but there was a message that I was disconnecting from the server, and should try again later.

I woke up, bringing up my task manager, thinking I could shut off the program "Excessive heat and Humidity.exe" but no luck. It was apparently a locked system task  Suddenly everything froze. "Unauthorized access. Process terminated in an unusual manner. Do you want to send a report?"

As I was reaching to click the "yes" button I woke up.

This time it was real, it just felt different somehow. Miranda was coughing up a hairball at the foot of the bed. She jumped down the moment I sat up, and fell into the pool.

I realized I don't have a pool at the foot of my bed.

Communication was restored and my gamers called me back into the front room and we started playing again.

I'm pretty sure I didn't actually wake up during any of that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home