.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cardboard Car, Lingerie Party

       My boss and I were on stage presenting a brown cardboard vehicle “of the future” to a large audience. The car was so small, that to get into it, I had to open the whole front end and then pull it closed around me. My boss and I got in and tried to drive off the stage in it, but the front end dropped open again. I pulled it back up and inserted a tab or flap into a slot just behind the door post. “That should hold it.”
       With that we took off, hoping to hit that 120 miles per gallon mark. (I wasn't sure we could do that as I once had a motor scooter that got 115 MPG, but only when it had one person on it, and that person only weighed 125 pounds.) I kept looking for the control pedals, but I was in the passenger side where there were none. I kept thinking that I should at least be able to put my feet out the bottom to help stop it, as I was sure the brakes weren't designed for two people. Even while I was dreaming this I found myself wondering why I thought that it even had brakes, that made me even more nervous. We drove out of the theater and onto the street. Heading downhill we started to pick up speed. It was then that we realized there was no steering mechanism.
       My boss jumped out. I don't know how as there was no way I could see to get out without opening the thing up, but he managed. I continued to roll downhill, picking up speed, without any controls at all. I tried to slide over to the drivers side, but there wasn't any difference. I was essentially in a box with a window on either side and one in front. I looked out the front, there was no front end to the thing, just a flat box. That was odd, because inside, there was a little are that my legs and feet fit into. I looked back behind, trying to see if I could reach the engine compartment, hoping to pull the plug or something. There was no engine compartment. I was, from the outside, in a cardboard box with three holes cut in it.
       I rumbled down the road a while longer, shooting through an intersection, where the traffic signal was fortunately green, and then as the road curved, I didn't. The box bumped and banged over the curb and then down a hillside into a small stream. As soon as the box hit the stream, it got soggy and fell apart. I managed to recover the engine by ripping open the back of the passenger compartment and ripping the motor off the soggy engine mounts. I carried the thing out of the car over my head and waded to shore. The engine and fuel cells weighed quite a bit, and they weren't made out of cardboard. I hoped I would be able to use them in a new vehicle, not made out of cardboard, and not without controls.

       Later, I dreamed I was shooting photos at a large party of college women. It was some sort of lingerie party, so things started to get pretty racy after a while. I found myself wishing I'd brought more memory sticks. I knew that I wasn't supposed to overwrite the photos I took at the start of the party, as those were the ones I'd been hired to take.
       After the party I was editing the photos into a show, and mixing it in with the video I had shot. The video had been burned directly to DVD, and I'd had plenty of video at the end of the party, it seems. I had to be careful while video editing, as I was in a “public” editing suite and people seemed to be walking by and looking in on me at random times. When I was done I had two shows, the lingerie party I'd been paid to record, and a sort of “Lingerie Girls gone Wild” that I was sure would be a much better seller.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home