.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Random Fantasy World Images

        I dreamed all over the place once I finally fell asleep. From hills covered with purple leaved trees to a huge beach that was made from pink quartz sand. There were giant eagles in the air and centaurs roaming the forest. Sometimes I was in the dream as an active participant, chanting with the group, or hauling up on lines which ran out into the ocean. Other times I was just a disembodied presence watching the behaviors of the creatures and people without truly understanding what was going on.

        I found myself in a blue mechanics overall with tools and parts in every pocket. I was working on some sort of semi-organic aircraft, it looked a lot like a dragonfly with an undercarriage attached with steel straps. Although it wasnt really alive, many of the parts seemed to be made of living muscle and nerve tissue. In the dream I understood where everything was connected, and had materials to patch up and repair the tissues involved. I could see the nerve impulses on a small scanner like device and then could inhibit or encourage the growth of various neural clusters to fine tune the performance of the aircraft. The repairs or modifications would take several minutes and sometimes involved the precise injection of various hormones or other chemicals. Part of the time I felt like the thing was alive and aware, even thought it wasnt supposed to be.

        I worked on the flying machines, but never got to fly them. I had a unicycle with a muscle motor assist that kept the thing balanced, and added to my motions to make the thing go about twenty miles an hour. Plenty fast for being eight feet above the ground on one wheel. You had to feed the thing regularly to keep it working. It sat in a stand with the wheel able to free wheel while the muscles idled. I called mine Tarabelle, and had created a sort of armor around it to keep the sun and rain and insects off of it. Mine was the fastest around, and didnt seem to like to work for other people too well. Again, I think the little muscle motors were more sensitive and more alive than the other mechmedics gave them credit for.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home