.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Farming, Solo

        I dreamed I was throwing large sacks of grain up onto the back of a stake-bed truck. I was working under a dark gray sky, there were rumblings of thunder in the air around me. I ran past the cab of the truck and grabbed another sack to toss up into the bed as the truck rolled by. Then tossed two more and repeated the activity.

        I noticed there was no one driving the truck, it had its wheel tied down and a rope trailed out behind the truck, tied to the gear shift. It looked like I could pull the rope to take the truck out of gear.

        I looked around at the field, there were still several rows to put in the back of the truck, and I was the only one around. I found myself wondering if it would be worth creating a rotating hook mechanism to snag the bags from the back of the truck, then I would just have to unhook them and stack them behind me, rather than throwing them up onto the truck. The bags were fairly heavy, about 30 pounds each, perhaps a little more. With the right sort of hook, I figured I could double or triple the size of the bags, making this part of the job much faster.

        As I ran from sack to sack I found myself calculating how many days of food I would be able to make from the bags of grain, and realized the harvest was not particularly large. I would have to do a bit more hunting to get through the winter. Perhaps I would be able to find more blackberries in the forests at the edge of my property.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home