.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Green Thing Breeding Season

I dreamed I was drifting down the side of a large mountain. The areas I drifted past were scorched to the ground. The hot debris was being pushed aside here and there where small creatures were tunneling out of their burrows.
The creatures were lime green, with nubby protrusions around their bodies. I couldn’t see any eyes or mouths, but could tell, somehow, that they were they. The creatures chattered at one another and began to swirl about in the air, diving to the aid of others who were still buried in ash and embers.
As I drifted on the wind, I saw the reason for the burned vegetation. A large device, looking remarkably like a 16mm film projector, was making its way around the mountain, spewing out a burning cone of hot light from the lens. I aimed myself over to the device and drifted in to a landing on what would have been the rear tension spindle, if it were really a projector.
There were World of Warcraft styled goblins running the projector. I asked them what was going on.
“The Spiny Green Things breeding season is upon us and we are making their fiery bed,” one explained to me.
“You can’t rely on nature to keep the fire contained to the right places, can you?”
“Uh, no,” I ventured.
“That’s right!” The goblin began to adjust the loop tension on the projector. “Here, lend a hand, or uh appendage with this lever.”
I reached out to hold the lever and realized that I had to choose from about a dozen two-fingered hands. I didn’t think that was odd, but did maneuver myself to where I could catch a reflection off of a silvery part of the machine. I looked like a giant floating squid, of sorts, with one large eye and an orange sarong, out of the bottom of which dangled several tentacles with two smaller manipulating tentacles on each end. I waved at myself while holding the lever with two longer tendrils which seemed to sprout from just above my “waist”, at least from just above where the sarong hung. I was also wearing a large floppy hat which had a large brim to shade my one eye. I had the impression that I had four more arms like the ones I was using to hold the lever. They were around behind my body. That was when I realized that I had two more eyes as well, space equally around my body, just out of site of the reflection. I could switch between them for my main perception, or use two at once for really effective binary vision. I couldn’t really make myself use all three at once, but thought that I should be able to with some practice.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home