.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Car Dreams, Barbeque

        I dreamed again of taking a road trip with N and several of the cats. This time none of the cats got neck-broke and skinned. This time we did end up breaking camp and trying to coax the cats back into the car before a massive downpour. We barely made it, and spent a couple of hours curled up in the car with the cats snuggled up on us. (Much like we were last night in bed.) When morning snuck up on us we drove into town to put some gas in the car and buy some breakfast.

        While I was fueling up, a Plymouth satellite pulled up to the pump ahead of us. It looked almost exactly like Cecil, but with the fender dent pounded out and the paint much worse for wear. There was a young couple who had all their worldly possessions packed into the car. They were talking about how this might not have been the best deal on a car they could have got. I agreed that the miles per gallon were not great, but even as full as the car was it should still give solid performance, once they got the tire fixed.

        The rear drivers side tire was completely flat. Oh, man, we cant afford to get that fixed.

        I hailed the garage mechanic over to ask him what a tire repair would cost.

        Dont bother, we cant afford it, and we only have to get about thirty more miles.

        Thats thirty miles of hell if you plan on driving on the rim. Besides, I used to own a beige Plymouth a year older than this one, and I hate to see it in such shape.

        The inside is worse! the owner popped the hood, revealing a rust covered interior.

        I looked in at it, there were no oil or fluid leaks, though, so the engine looked and sounded fine other than a layer of rust. Thats nothing a steam cleaning and some enamel wont fix. I adjusted the carburetor’s idle a bit and got the engine to smooth out a bit. Ill pay to repair the tire.

        No, thanks, we aint got that far to go, and the kid pulled the car over to the air compressor and filled the tire, then took off.

        At least the car sounds like a car should sound, I commented to the mechanic as they pulled away.

        We arrived at our destination, and a friend of mine was there with the woman who was going to be his fourth wife. I asked what had happened to the previous, and he showed me a letter shed written from her mission. It seemed the men in her parish were in need of more than just having their souls tended to, so she felt she was just the one to do that, but wouldnt be coming back.

        That was a bit of a surprise and completely out of character from what I know. (It has sort of been a year for that though, so in the dream, not so surprising.) The friend and the bride to be cut me off from the rest of the group to talk to me in private. I figured it would be about the upcoming wedding, but it wasnt. They wanted to know I N and I would be interested in joining them for a Convention in Chicago in July.

        My sister-in-laws 60th is that weekend, so well all ready be there, perhaps we could stop by a day or two.

        I looked at them, Why all the secrecy?

        We dont want to encourage some of the people here to go, they sort of stalk her, my friend explained. His new girlfriend then lifted up my kilt.

        Since Id just gotten out of the shower and we had everything else in the laundry, well, she got more than she bargained for.

        Soon, the dream was back on the road again. This time we were driving into a city nestled between several tall desert mesas. Some of the buildings in the city were nearly as tall as the surrounding outcroppings. I was trying to keep the cats from walking up on the dashboard while I was driving. I knew I should have bought that baby gate and put it across the deck in back. I was in a weird mental place at that point, I knew in the dream that we were nearly home, but my brain was awake enough to know that this was nowhere near home, nor in fact looked like any place I’d ever seen. The dream unraveled at that point, so I didnt even get to see what our actual home looked like in the dream reality. I woke up a little disappointed about that.

        After moving the cats around so I could stretch out, I was in a rather oddly curled and twisted position, I fell back almost immediately into another dream. This time without cats. I was in the hot tub with N and a couple of her friends. One of whom got out and as she did so I was faced rather closely with the fact that theyd been tubbing bottomless. Large wet and furry is what I have to say about that. Yikes, almost sexy, but not quite.

        After that came the barbeque, N and I had fish steaks and everyone else had brought chicken or steak, no hotdogs or hamburgers at all. The veggie tray was larger than the snack tray. I commented on how it was obvious we were all getting older. I had to go inside to get out of the sun, it was well over a hundred and I felt like I was melting. I wanted to get back into the hot tub just to cool off.

I couldnt get the AC unit to power up, so started hunting for a screw driver to disassemble it. While I was hunting for the screwdriver I discovered that someone had plugged it into a socket in the kitty condo I had built. I laughed and plugged it into the wall socket. We didnt have power in the kitty condo because it was summer and the cats didnt need the heating blanket.

I found myself stuck in bed, unable to move. I could feel my heart begin to race and I started sweating, breathing suddenly became very difficult. A large black leopard padded up to my face and told me not to worry, I would wake up in a minute. It then padded down to the sliding glass door as though it were on guard, and waiting for me to wake up.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home