.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bridge to Undead Dinosaurville

        I dreamed I was in an area of deep ravines and heavy forests. I was with a group of people working on building a pair of bridges. A narrow pedestrian bridge and a larger vehicle sized bridge. The pedestrian bridge was replacing a rope and plank bridge.

        We managed to get the rails in place and were installing the trusses that would support the road bed when we took a lunch break. I was on the far side of the bridge with some of the native workers. They were trying to teach me some of their language as I was showing them how the trusses worked to spread the load of the road bed to the large support beams. Suddenly they all stood up and ran, pointing to something over my head.

        I looked back up the small cliff face (about 10 feet over my head. There was a chalk colored dinosaur, a raptor, with bones showing through its flesh. An undead raptor. I backed myself against the cliff. The crew ran across the bridge, shouting. The dinosaur jumped down after them, but turned back to me as I lunged for it. I pushed myself off of the cliff face and slammed my laptop case against the undead thing just above the arms, hoping I was far enough above the center of gravity to knock it over. It was much lighter than I expected. Not only did I knock it over, but knocked it back over the edge of the ravine. It snatched at the edge and I used the case to knock its claws loose from the dirt. I plunged silently over the edge, shattering on the rocks and then falling in pieces into the brown water below the rocks. I scrambled back to my laptop and threw it into the now damaged bag then headed to the other side of the ravine after my crew.

        The crew hadnt stopped running. I turned around, and saw that there were three more of the things on the cliff overlooking the bridgehead. I froze, and the things began to scan the area, looking for movement. They didnt seem to recognize me as a target. After what seemed like forever, but was likely only a couple of minutes, they continued along the ridge line, vanishing into the forests.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home