.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Computer, Turtles

        N buys a new computer system for me, and then sets it up so it only really works well from her side of the partner desk. It is very cool, though; we have both got connections to the internet and are able to network directly for some software. In the dream we are playing World of Warcraft, and then when N calls it done, I switch over to a multi-screen version of Crimson Skies. By turning her widescreen around to face me, I am able to get a 180 degree view out of the cockpit of my virtual aircraft.

        I have a non-N running character in WOW also, but I can't seem to configure the three screen trick for that program and go back to flying the highly modified corsair. The physics model is funny, I can fly full speed (over 400 knots) and then kick the airbrakes and fire all my forward facing guns to drop to stall speed in less than ten seconds. It is a great trick for taking out planes that dive down on me from directly behind.

        This morning, after N's alarm went off I fell back to sleep and dreamed I was climbing in a forest. Giant trees with trunks nearly 20 feet across were growing out of a thick mossy bed of soil. There were only a few spindly low-light ferns and the thick layer of needles and moss between the trees. I was going up the bark and finding nodules of some sort of tree parasite. The wood in the burl of the parasite was apparently very valuable, so I would climb up and knock them off the host tree. I was sawing away at a particularly large one, and when it was almost through I went around to the far side of the tree and thumped the trunk with a mallet, the shock drove the burl off of the trunk. It fell to the ground with a loud thunk. It broke open, revealing in its fernlike shield leaves hundreds of hand sized turtles, colored like bright gem stones, blue and green. I felt bad that I had displaced so many rare climbing turtles. They just started climbing up the tree trunk, in three or four lines, like giant ants. I was glad that I hadn't killed any of them, and surprised at the same time. I'd dropped the burl from at least eighty feet up, possibly more.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home