.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Waterslide, Tidal Surge, Alternate Home Town, Erotic Dream, C is for Computer and other Classroom Horrors

To think, Just yesterday S and I were discussing the fact that sometimes we have dozens of dream segments but can only remember a few. Last night was one of those nights, here are the highlights, or all that I can remember, anyway.
       Waterslide to the drying room at the bottom. I thought is was going to go into a jungle and join a river. Instead you had to get out of the water slide and walk around to a ladder and climb back up into the starting room. At the bottom of the ride was a grey carpedted area that allowed you to dry very rapidly. During part of the dream I was having trouble hiding my erection. My black and white bating suit was just a bit to thin and tight to hide myself. I found myself wishing for the old fashioned bloomer short style bathing suit.
       I then dreamed I was in a bus traveling home from a show. The water at the beach at San Onofre was rising, the waves were about 2- foot high with really bad choppy form. There were still people out their trying to surf in it. Our bus was struck by a wave the height of the hub caps, and I could see larger still coming in. I tried to convince the bus drover to turn the end of the bus to the wave so we wouldn't be turned over sideways. The bus driver didn't want to do that. We were struck on the side and fortunately the bus was floating enough to be pushed sideways off the road and into the brush along side the freeway. We still tipped over, but slowly. I pushed open the emergency hatch and helped the students out onto the top (formerly side) of the bus. I had to dive under the water to release the bus driver's seatbelt.
       I then dreamed I was walking around my old neighborhood, where I came to street that I'd never seen before. (The road has always come to an inexplicable dead hend there when I was a child.) I headed up the hill. There was a house sitting out on a protrusion of rock and soil The squat cylinder of yard overhung the sidewalk a couple of feet. It was completely encased on the exposed sides in a metal jacket that was sitting on a thick steel or iron plate (about 30cm thick) I walked under the edge of the cylinder and around the other side. There was an electrical co-generation plant, insulated with the same sort of sheet steel. At the top of the sidewalk was a covering.
       The covering turned out to be a room. The sidewalk went directly into some sort of collection room, mostly 60's and 70's era Barbie Dolls and GI-Joes. (The full height dolls.) There was also a large number of painting and other restoration supplies. I turned around because I figured I was on private property there. I closed the door behind me. On the way out I realized that I had a box of paints and paint brushes, the paint I used for war game miniatures. Some one stopped and asked where I'd gotten the paint brush.
       "Comic Gallery, back when they still carried GW stock. They can't afford to do that any more, they don't sell enough of the line to qualify as a distributer any more."
       I could tell they didn't believe me, whether about the GW or the paintbrush, I couldn't tell.
       I made may way across the street where there was a hidden sidewalk that lead up into a small culvert. At the end of the culvert was a road. I climbed, with some difficulty, as I had to put one leg up on the road (The pipes I tried to use as a foothold halfway up didn't stick out of the hill far enough, and I didn't want to take my shoes off to stick my toes into them.)
       I made the climb and walked up into a park I didn't know existed, either. There was an ice skating rink on the left of the road, I could feel it leeching the heat out of my left side as I walked past. Ice skaters were waiting in line to go down into the rink. One woman yelled at me for cutting in line.
       I pointed to my skate-less feet. She quieted down and I walked on the open path (no line here at all) over a small hill. There were ball courts for handball, basketball, tetherball and some sort of four-square as well as tennis courts in the distance. There was a soft rubber track woven through all the different courts, with small clusters or individuals running, walking or jogging around the park.
       I was dumbfounded. Where had this been all the while I had been growing up. The area where this was located had been a rocky canyon. Mom and Dad hadn't said anything about a park being built recently. I asked a jogger how long the park had been there.
       "Been coming here since I was a kit in the Seventies" was the answer.
       I started to realize I wasn't in my world any more, and had somehow crossed over back when I'd come up the street that had just been a stubby dead end when I was growing up (In an apparently different Seventies.)
       This caused me to roll over in bed and place my hand on a tiny pert nipple. I burbled something soft in the woman's ear, and realized that it wasn't N like I thought it was. I compared the firm breast and tiny nipple to N's, I must have done so out loud as there was a disgruntled sigh. While still caressing the woman, I explained that I love N and she wasn't going to be able to change that.
       N came in, simply asking us to make some room for her, as she was very tired.
       N crawled over the other woman to kiss me good night. The other woman kissed N also, then N hugged her edge of the bed and went to sleep.
       We continued to snuggle, now that it was clear that N wasn't concerned about us.
       Woke up and had breakfast with N and the Dance Macabre Women, then came home for a nap (trying to sleep out this sinus infection.) I almost immediately fell into a dream where I was working on my computer, trying to configure connections for a Video Conference with an author of a Children's book Somename "Oppie" I don't remember now, it was obviously a pseudonym. I got the connection to HR working and then a woman came in to get me to go with her to a classroom to meet a teacher who wanted some hints on how to optimize her classroom for her health issues.
       "Like my ergonomic keyboard to help with my hand pain?" I asked.
       "Your hands hurt?" the woman asked.
       "Yes and feet." I responded.
       She extended her hand and took my hand in hers. The pain faded away from both my hands and my feet.
       "Thank you, how'd you do that?"
       "I need you to help at CH, come quickley." She led me away from my office, I tried, unsuccessfully, to get her to let me go back and put some socks and shoes on.
       We drove over to CH and I took my laptop with me in case L called for more help with RH's Video Conference. Once in the classroom I could immediately see some things that needed to be adjusted. I managed to come up with an ergonomic keyboard. Pulled the tupperware container out from under the monitor to lower it to the proper height and moved the teacher's desk lamp to a position where it would light her reading area without spilling light on her monitor, eliminating at least one source of glare.
       I suggested hanging a couple of sheets of construction paper along the fluorescent fixture above her desk, that way the light would still make her corner fairly bright, and the reflection would be off of the monitor.
       The teacher asked about the network speed. I plugged in my laptop and connected it to the projector in her room. I hooked into the gateway and we could see the teacher and students at RH waiting for their Video Conference to start.
       "Impressive."
       "Their waiting to talk to Something Oppie about his book."
       "We just finished reading that book!"
       I asked L if this class could sit in on the Video Conference.
       "Sure, I can hear you but not see you."
       "I'll see if I can round up a camera, I'm on my laptop at the moment." I turned to the kids that were gathering at the foot of the screen. "Say hello to Ms G's class, they can hear you but not see you."
       "Hello Ms G's Class!" the kids shouted.
       Ms G's class waved hello back to us.
       I asked the teacher to pass out 3x5 cards and have each student write a comment or question for Mr Oppie. I told her to collect them and pick the three best ones, we would make a spot for Mr Oppie to answer their questions.
       I saw they had a document camera. I turned it towards the class and took off the diopter. The image was very clear.
       "Sweet." I connected the docucam to my laptop and amazingly the USB camera driver figured out how to talk to it.
       "I see you guys now!" L came around to where she was on camera, the kids all waived to one another.
       Mr Oppie checked in, and L introduced him to Ms G's class and I introduced him to Ms R's class. He thanked us and said hello to L and I personally. He was a friend of mine, KLM, who lives in Yreka.
       He answered the kids questions and presented his book, reading dramatically from part of it, generating lots of laughs. He then answered questions. At the end he pulled up a book of poetry and short tales I'd written 'C is for Computer and Other Classroom Horrors' and asked if anyone had read this book. Several hands shot up in both rooms.
       "Well, Mr F there is the author of this book, and I know he'd love to read to you some time."
       "Thanks K."
       "No problem, share the glory."
       "You guys can have me out any time, I work for the district so I'd be happy to come around if you want."
       Ms R, who I'd just finished setting up some room optimizations for snuck up to me with a copy of my book and a sharpie. "I didn't recognize you from the picture on the back, but it is you, isn't it?"
       "Yes, shall I inscribe this to you, or the class?"
       "I bought it for the whole class, please, if it's not too much trouble."
       As L was bringing the Video Conference to a close and the kids were saying good-bye to KLM, I autographed a copy of my book for Ms R's class.
       L came back on the camera, "They have a classroom copy over here, too."
       "I'll stop in the next time I'm there."

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yreka is close enough for goverment work, but I actually live outside of Etna. Yreka is about 35 miles away.

Mr. Oppie

10:49 PM  
Blogger Fermius Firefly said...

Odd where things show up in dreams. I knew you lived in/near Etna, but for some reason Yreka is what stuck in the dream reality...
So have you got some childrens books out there?

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home