.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Undercut Dream Islands

            I dreamed I was sailing around islands on the ocean with the worn underside again. This time I was on a ship with a crew of a couple of dozen people. We had a converted cargo container ship; it had been converted to a sailing vessel. We had some solar panels, but most of the sunny deck was being used to grow food in containers with the tops off and full of earth. There were mushroom farms in the holds, and families were living in the various quarters and unused holds below decks.

            We sailed into the archipelago to the largest island, anchoring in the shallows just below the overhang. We were able to shoot a grapple up to the vegetation on the island and a teenager climbed up the narrow rope and secured a ladder for us. A small armed party went ashore. We found the ruins of a farm house. There were several graves outside, one empty, the soil beside the grave was overgrown and there were plants growing in the bottom of the grave as well. Inside the ruins of the farm house I found a bed frame with a dislocated pile of bones in it. Apparently the last occupant had died in the bed. We agreed to move the bones into the grave and filled it in. While we were doing that a pair of small hunchbacked pig like animals came sniffing around. They weren't afraid of us. Some of the crew wanted to take them for meat animals, but I told them to hold off until we could tell more about the island. The two piglets scampered off when mom showed up. She eyed us up and down then decided to ignore us, taking her piglets into the thick brush.

            I split the group into pairs, each with a wind-up radio. They covered the extent of the island over the next couple of hours. There was a fresh water lake in the dead caldera in the center of the Island, lots of fruit trees, a few meadows of what appeared to be wheat or oats. We figured that a family of six to ten could live comfortably in each of the three farmhouses we found on the island. There was an old fishing dock on the island across from where our ship was anchored. There were a couple of boats sitting in the shallows, we could see them covered with ocean life, but the shape was still visible in the crystal clear water. There were tons of fish. I gathered everyone back and we held a meeting aboard ship. It looked like the group was going to vote to move to the Island, save for a small crew of us. We were going to sail to the other nearby Islands and check for other inhabitants as well as other resources.

 

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home