.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Alternate Reality, Japan and a Work Dream


      I was shot down over Japan.
      I crawled through brambles and mud to make my way to a hillside with a bombed out construction site. I took over a crane/bucket dredge and opened up a tunnel into the hillside. I'm not sure how I knew there were tunnels there, but I did. Several days later, when I realized the construction crews were not coming back, I started construction of a large house on top of the hill. There was an array of rebar that I connected to a radio receiver. It gave an early warning of approaching bombers. I managed to warn the nearby town and evacuated everyone to the tunnels under the hillside. After the bombing raid, I helped with the rebuilding of the town, allowing the homeless to live in the tunnels until reconstruction was complete. Soon the war was over.
      I married a half-Japanese woman. The townspeople had pretty much shunned her until we started dating. We had three children, two sons, both with black hair, one with blue eyes and one with brown, and a daughter who was blond haired and blue eyed, but still with a Japanese looking face and skin.
      The dream jumped forward well over 20 years from the time I landed in Japan. We had made a good living from the tunnels under the hill, growing mushrooms and selling them around the world. I had retired, and was looking for a project when I came across the old dredging machine. I rebuilt and restored it in the bomb crater where it had been buried during the war. I had built a large hanger type structure over it to protect it from the weather. There was a walking path that went to the house from the main road, and I paved a spur into the hanger. Many of the villagers stopped by to visit, and sometimes to help out.
      A gentleman arrived at my home with his 17 year old son in tow. The gentleman was a decade or more older than me. He was also retired, but looking to find all of his company's old equipment, which was lost during the war, in particular he was looking for the old dredging machines. He had been one of the engineers to design them.
      As I walked him to the crater, my daughter, who was also around 17, took pity on the son, and offered to show him around the house, and to get him something to eat and drink. They headed into the main house. The gentleman and I reminisced about the war. Both of us amazed that I'd never been captured. After working so hard to save the citizens of the town from destruction, with his company's abandoned equipment, they hadn't the heart to turn me in. We stepped into the hanger and there was the dredge, fully restored, with a paint job both cleaner and brighter than the day I'd found it.
      The gentleman was stunned. He started taking shots with his digital camera and talking excitedly. I had a plaque at the base of the dredge that told the story of how it had saved the town. The plaque was in both Japanese and English. He offered to go back to his company and arrange a sponsorship for my little museum. Before he left, I fired the engines up and let him run the crane up and down and lift a bucket load and release it from the test yard. He left with tears in his eyes.
      Back in the house my daughter came running to me. Also in tears. The son had kissed her. That wasn't the problem though, she'd wanted that. But he'd also pinched her cheek. She'd scolded him for that, then he swatted her butt for scolding him. That had caused her to kick him and storm out. I didn't ask where she'd kicked him. She'd been taking martial arts since she was three, I'm sure the boy had been well behaved after that. She wanted to know what to do.
      "Well, if you see him again, though I don't pretend to know why you would, only that you have it in your eyes to do so. Please, let him know that your daddy is not the sort of man to trouble law enforcement to settle his complaints. Let him know that my daughter's health and safety are worth more than his." I smiled at her.
      "Daddy!" Her eyes grew large, as she could tell I meant exactly what I implied. Then she hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I returned the kiss and she jogged off, happy again. In that moment she reminded me of her mother. I made a note to run a discreet check on the boy's school records. I headed up into the house to check on dinner and to greet my sons who were due to arrive any time. My wife would be happy to know that my little retirement hobby was about to pay for itself.

      My DSP still seems to be based out of Japan.
      
      This morning I dreamed that I was working on some sort of batch import for our new work order tracking system. It kept missing a certain table. My boss and I finally decided we needed to take a break, so got up to go for a walk.
      It was a very detailed dream, the test lab was actually almost the size of a classroom. There were about a dozen workstations and rack with half a dozen servers in the corner. I could feel the keys on the keyboard clicking under my fingers. Hear the cooling fans. All of my co-workers were talking with one another or on the phones, also tapping away out in their part of the room. I'm not positive, but I think this is the first full on work dream with a "regular" cast that I've had in awhile.
      A small part of my brain noted that we were no longer in the offices at the end of the warehouse dock.

      If I were not so lazy, I would categorize my dreams and then I would be able to do a search on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home