.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Restaurant Dream, Tornado Aftermath

            Jerry Reyes was the entertainment, juggling, telling jokes, etc. We were discussing Duke Cunningham when the restaurant manager came over and insisted that we move to the back room, away from the other customers. They were ordering way more expensive food items and were insulted by our conversation. They moved us back into a room where they were putting tablecloths on top of 50 gallon drums with a piece of loose plywood for the table. Real elegant.

Jerry finished his routine and joined us. We decided to leave rather than eat in the stock room. The manager tried to tell us we couldn't leave without paying. I pointed out there was no table for us, and no food, so let the folks who insisted on moving us pay for us, they would be happy to pay for us to go, I’m certain.

 

            The second dream actually started after the tornado. I was with a slender black-haired woman; we'd been tucked into the corner of a concrete wall and a garage floor. The building we'd been in, her condo, was flattened. I pulled her station wagon around so we could load it up with whatever we could find to salvage. I found a bunch of storage tubs, and we began to load her clothing and books into them. Everything was wet. She wanted to find my stuff, but all we could find was a blue canvas bag with grey straps. It was my overnight bag. It was empty, somehow the storm had tossed it around and broken the zipper, its contents were scattered. I wasn't concerned about it. I could easily replace a couple of shirts, socks and underwear. The comb; I would miss that a little bit as I haven't been able to find one like it for years. (Echos of a conversation N and I had during the weekend. I replaced an old comb that had become brittle and lost several teeth, it just wasn't the same.)

             The woman's name was Keiko (like a high-school friend of mine.) She was upset and overwhelmed after a few minutes of searching through the rubble. I managed to get her scrapbooks and fire safe in the wagon. I then managed to recover her DVDs and a laptop computer. The computer was in its case and seemed to be dry inside. I managed to get a good handle on things that could be dried out later or that were on shelves in bookcases that weren't too wet. There was too much stuff to fit it all in the station wagon, but I managed to set up a couple of shelves and load them up and then covered them with a tarp. I was hoping that there wouldn't be a lot of looting, but figured that even if there was, books would not be high on the list. Although the comic and magazine boxes were damp, the comics and magazines were bagged, and because the boxes had been tipped upside down or on their sides, there really wasn't any water damage. (There hadn't been all that much rain, mostly just wind and collapsing building.

            I climbed into the driver's seat. The vehicle was controlled by a single controller: an isosceles triangle about 8 inches across at the base and 12 inches long. Aim where you want to steer, and then press the back to accelerate and the front to brake. Letting the triangle sit in the center would slow using the best recharge rate. The vehicle could also move sideways by coming to a complete stop and tilting down one side or the other of the triangle, you could also drift when at speed using that control. I was completely immersed in the dream up until the time that I started driving. The darned thing was so different, and it was very much like a hovercraft. We were going to our friend's home about 100 miles north of the condo. Keiko wanted to go to her mother's, which was near by. My plan was to put her stuff at our friend's so it could be dried out, then to take her to her mother’s, then I would drive back down and camp at her place until I could get the rest of her stuff packed up and stored.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home