.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Soggy Former Work Site

            I was working again at Meadowbrook. The Old AV shop had been retrofitted to be a tech repair shop again. This time there were only a small set of shelves along the back wall, a pony wall separated the work area from the media library area. I was working on the counter next to the sink when I noticed a dripping noise.

            Opening the cabinet under the sink revealed a world of wet plaster and soggy flakes of drywall. You could see the green board in some places. I wish I had the words to describe the rich smell that greeted me when I opened the cabinet. The smell was a mix of highly chlorinated water, paper and plaster, wet gypsum, rust, bug poop and old dish soap. There was a hint of WD-40 and soldering flux as well.

            I wanted to shut off the water, but the water shut offs were what was actually leaking, so we needed to shut the water off to the building.

            I didn't know where the shutoff was located, neither did the custodian. I got the bright idea to go online and look up the plans. I found them, but they didn't include changes that had been made during the rebuild. I told the custodian that it would be unlikely to change the location of the water shutoff. We went outside to the end of the building where the water shutoff should have been. The shutoff had a concrete bench on top of it. We couldn't move it, the bench was bolted to the sidewalk and into the wall.

            I went back to the shop and cleared out the cabinet.

            When I woke, it was raining.

 

Ad astra per technica,

FF

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home