.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Scottish Karaoke, Cliff Hanger

Scottish Karaoke

            N and I were with M and S in a Scottish pub. It was Karaoke night. Somehow we all managed to get up and slug out an old Abba song. It may have been “Fernando” or maybe it wasn’t. I kept thinking that instead of ABBA we’d be MSDN or DNSM or finally DMNS.

 

Cliff Hanger

            I was with a large group of people, most from “Killer Pizza from Mars”, walking on the edge of a cliff. Big A from KPFM falls over the cliff side. I am unable to catch him (the ground broken away beneath his feet.) Ever the optimist, I shout down at him to "kick off the wall, try for deep water!" Then I start climbing down in hopes of finding that he's OK. About halfway down the wall it turns into piles of stacked coins, mostly pennies the size of dinner plates, and I am straddling the columns,  looking around for the next lower stack so I can make it down to the surface of the lake without having to jump for it myself.

            The wind started picking up, and then it began to rain, making the stacks of coins slick and suddenly loose. I began to become wet and cold and lost the feeling in my legs. I slid down the piles of coins, struggling to stay on top of the collapsing mass of coins and mud. By the time the piles of coins had poured into the lake I was left on a low hill just above the water line.

            I looked around, trying to find A, initially without success. I then managed to get atop a rocky outcropping and saw him floating face up in the water. He didn't look happy, but at least he was alive. I managed to wade out to him and pulled him ashore. The people at the top of the hill had called 911 and there were police and an ambulance on the way.

            I was suddenly able to pick A up (He's at least half again my weight) and lifted him back to the cliff line. Growing to about 70 feet tall in the process, I stepped up to the cliff myself and shrank back to a more normal size. One person (J, also from KPFM) asked why I hadn't done that to save A in the first place.

            I didn't know I could. It wasn't until I was climbing down the cliff and reached the piles of coins that I realized I was dreaming. Even then I didn't want to upset the flow of the dream.

 

Ad astra per technica,

FF

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous James MacFarland said...

Great post!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home