.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Wacky Dreams

            Flying fish in the front room, trying to chase them back into the tank. Driving in the rain, the back of the car was open and N would climb into the back to close it because she didn't want me to pull off the freeway.

            There was something about colors, just huge squares (white) with smaller red and green squares and quarter circles on the corners. The squares were about 3 foot square and flying around, each one had a different arrangement of corner decorations. They whooshed through the air in silence, but I had the impression they were singing. Streamers of yellow and orange light swirled away from their surfaces and where they intersected other squares they left a glowing afterimage. I stepped off the curb into the gutter; it was full of brownish red mud. I was unhappy that I would not be able to go back into the house with mud on my shoe. I wanted to take the shoe off, but was forbidden to for some reason. I tried to talk to the flying squares, they swarmed around me, inflating into spheres, the squares on the corners stayed square, but the quarter circles became a 270 degree circle. The wrongness of this acutely irritated me as there was no "logical” reason for it to be so.

            Driving dreams are always interesting, especially when you are driving over shag carpet (burnt orange and harvest gold) and then skidding out across tile. I didn't feel like I was in a matchbox car, but what I was driving over and through looked like I was. I got out of the car and picked it up. It was my favorite little red Volkswagen with the front two doors that really opened. (I still have that Matchbox somewhere.) I was delighted to find that the ball bearings were still in the driver and front passenger seats. I looked around and found that I was in the middle of a large spread of fallow fields, the milkweed and such were chest high, making it tough to see where the road ran past the curves a few hundred yards in each direction. Plant seeds on puffs of white were filling the air. I decided I should get back in the car and drive to somewhere with clearer air. I set the car down and was once again inside driving. I zoomed off down the road in the direction I'd been heading.

Instead of tile or carpet I was on a paved two lane road where I couldn't see what was around the corner, and had forgotten where I'd been. The passenger seat was graced by a shifting presence who was rather pointedly ignoring me except to sigh in exasperation at the lack of scenery or even progress of any sort. I soared around the corners, never seeing anyone else on the road at all. "Looks like the road less traveled," I spoke to my companion.

            "For good reason," she snarled back at me.

            I thought for a moment of stopping and letting her out, but instead stopped and put the car in my pocket and continued my journey on foot. I felt guilty, but satisfied at the same time.

 

Ad astra per technica,

FF

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home