.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Spiders and Spaceships, Cruise Ship Dreams

Haven't had much time to spare for dream recording, but the one I had
night before last still sticks a little bit in my head. Mostly the
ending images. I and my family, I don't know where the two kids came
from. (I'm not sure I was myself as much as riding along in someone
else's mind.) The ship was travelling on some sort of interstellar
hyperspace wave/lane. There was a huge cottony mass off of the front
of the ship that caught the current and acted something like a sail.
The ship was crewed by myself and another couple. My wife and kids
were passengers, and there was a delegation of large spider like
aliens aboard. We came under attack by pirates. The Spider delegation
wrapped my kids in airtight silk with rebreathers and oxygen tanks.
Apparently they were planning on abandoning the ship and taking the
passengers with them. The crew and I took some drilling and survey
lasers out to the hull of the ship. One of the spiders went with us.
They didn't seem to have a problem with the vacuum of space. The laser
flashed through the suits of the pirates who were trying to board us.
We couldn't get to the underside, our cargo pods were in the way,
especially the spider habitation unit. Suddenly, the spider habitation
unit separated, giving us a clear shot at the pirate vessel. The Space
spiders, and the cocoons with my two kids and wife, spread out into
space. The Spiders spun out a huge web of material that caught the
hyperspace current and swept them away from us. I felt relieved. We
concentrated on trying to take out the pirate sensors and maneuvering
jets so they would not be able to dock with us. Our vessel began to
accelerate. They fired on us, winging my crewmate. As his suit began
to decompress one of the spiders swallowed him head first, and took a
bite out of him. His head and chest appeared in a hollow dome on top
of the spider's head among his other eyes. Shockingly, my crewmate
opened his eyes and I heard his voice shouting on the radio. He calmed
down in a few minutes, amazed that the pain was going away and he
could still move and see things. The Space Spider folded its front
legs together, like a single pair of arms, and did the same with its
back legs. We managed to cause the habitat to spin into the pirate
vessel. Both objects fell out of the stream and receded from us too
fast to follow. We reentered the ship. My crewmember's wife waiting
with a shotgun to blast the spider. He finally managed to convince her
otherwise by writing "It's Me!" on the wall with his new hand/s. I was
pretty creeped out, as I was still listening to the translator. It
seems the spider was actually happy to be, um, occupied. I don't think
the wife was too happy about it, and I don't know that my crewmate
would remain happy about it for long. I don't know that there was
really any other option. Apparently the Space Spiders consumed their
parents, and one got the parent brain, giving them a sort of
immortality of sorts. It was also these "Two Headed" spiders that were
the leaders of their communities. They'd apparently been studying us
with the idea of preserving our leaders. I'm not so sure I liked the
idea of being consumed after breeding, though. I made my way back up
to the control center and contacted the wife, they would slow down and
rejoin us. The kids actually wanted to "Ride the spiders" the rest of
the way, but I reminded them we were still 5 days out, it would get
pretty stinky in their cocoons. The spiders offered to paralyze them
for the duration, I declined as politely as I could. I still couldn't
get the idea of the spiders sucking them dry, as earth spiders do, out
of my head. They understood and slowed down to join us.

Last night was a happier dream, I think. I was on a cruise ship,
taking part in a big party game that involved a scavenger hunt conga
line and some pretty silly rhymes. I was trying to make the rhymes to
get a pretty woman to let me take a photo of her red mesh stockings
and their fluffy white furry tops, but she stubbornly insisted on
joining me in her entirety. Not really a bad deal, she smelled great
too. She ended up sitting in my lap after I found the chair with
wheels, and whispered into my ear that she did too understand what I
wanted, but that wasn't what she wanted. What she wanted was to be my
second wife. I tried to explain that I would be broke after this
cruise so wouldn't be able to support her, but that didn't seem to
dissuade her. Not that I really minded, though I was a little worried
about the apparently obsessive nature of my delightful find.

I also dreamed about something that made me think, on waking, I have
to remember this for S and N, they'd really like it, but it is lost to
the day.

--
ad astra per technica,
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home