.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

 Visiting an old GF (Who would have just turned 40) where there is no one home. I make my way into the back of the house to watch the sunset. Then I can't find my way back out to the front except to go through the house. I hate it when the landscape changes. I go through as quickly as possible.  She and her kids arrive home. I call out to them so they won't be surprised. She says she knew I was here because of the old car out front. I walk out to see what she is talking about.
 It is an old Valiant, not a Satellite (Pity, I like dreams about Cecil, my old car.) I tell her that my car is a new Red Insight. "Uh, Oh!" She covers her mouth and looks away. This is not the response I'd anticipated.
 I then discover that "someone" had rolled back into the Insight, crushing the front end like an accordion. The motor was on the ground just in front of the firewall. No way I was driving away from that.
 "We'd better call a tow truck, I think they're gonna need a bucket,"  I tried to calm her down, we both have insurance and all. She admits that this is the third time this has happened. Her insurance is going to go through the roof. I then notice that there are no marks on the back of her truck, and the truck's brake is on, and she's parked about a foot away from the wreckage.
 "I don't think it was you. I think this is a hit and run, someone who visits or lives nearby. I'll let the sheriff figure it out." I was fairly certain that who ever had crushed my car that bad would have plenty of red paint all over their vehicle. I could already see flakes of paint and broken plastic leading away from the scene. They crossed the street and went up a driveway into a closed garage. I didn't think the sheriff would have a difficult time finding the culprit.

 I Dreamed I was in the loading zone at MCHS cleaning stickers of the windshield of my car. Someone had pasted band stickers on the window just a bit too high to see safely through. Several kids stopped to help, and as more and more students stopped to help, the car grew longer and longer, becoming a stretch SUV that would seat at least 20. As the vehicle grew even larger I began to become alarmed. It started rocking from side to side, seemingly of its own volition. I shouted at the kids to get back. They complied, asking what was going on.
 "It's hatching!" I heard a girl say.
 "That's stupid." Replied a boys voice from the back of the pack.
 A yellow Volkswagen was rolling past when the vehicle turned over, pinning the VW. I Shouted at the driver and the passenger to get out. The driver climbed out the window, she raced into the parking lot away from the rocking vehicle. The passenger started to open the door, into the narrow gap where the wheels and axles of the larger vehicle where straining like feet and legs. I started to warn him to climb out the window, but it was too late. The door opened, the structural integrity of the VW was compromised, and the Giant SUV rolled completely over onto the bug, smashing it flat. A wheel and axle flew out from under the GSUV and I managed to snag it before it hit the crowd.
 The GSUV began to change. It transformed into a towering Robot, at least 60 feet high. Students ran in every direction. The Robot took a step. Three tires began spinning on its shoulder. 3/4 inch nuts flew out like bullets, hammering the nearby buildings and ricocheting off into the parking lot, smashing windows and denting cars. I didn't see anyone struck by the nuts. Soon it spotted me, carrying its fourth tire. It strode towards me, I took off racing between buildings under the soffet, where it couldn't see me.
 I doubled back, and as it swept by, headed towards the theater, I rolled the tire under its leading foot. The tire blew from the weight, but the rim rolled up under the foot and the robot skidded and toppled into the theater building. The walls and ceiling collapsed around it. I was grateful that the building was empty for renovations. It would really need them now.
 Kids started to cheer and run to see the robot. I tried to tell them to get back, but they weren't hearing me. The robot stirred and rolled over. The crowd dispersed, but several kids were knocked over in the process. I ran out and helped them to their feet and they scampered off, all but two who were complaining of twisted ankles and the like. I had one under each arm, carrying one completely, supporting the other. The robot rolled towards us, not bothering to stand. I noticed there was an open door.
 I dragged the kid into the Robot and told them to strap in. I then started climbing up to the driver's seat. The Robot froze, then started to stand. I put my feet on the back of a seat and grabbed the steering wheel as the floor tipped out behind me. I could hear the kids in the back squeal as debris slid down and pelted them. It was all small stuff, so I wasn't too worried about them. I dragged myself over the back of the driver's chair, and swung around to slam on the brakes and push in the clutch. I shifted the thing into neutral and turned off all the knobs I could find.

--
ad astra per technica,
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home