.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Diablo III and Going to School Unprepared

Both of these are recurring themes. The Diablo III game came about as I was talking to a couple of my friends at work. We hadn't seen each other in a long while, and found that we all had the game in common. They were both having difficulty with a certain quest, on which I had already passed. We agreed to connect up and run a LAN party quest just to get over the bump. When I got home we connected up, and I found that I was about level 33, and they were both already at 50. They wanted to know how I had been able to beat the quest with such a "low" level character. I was a little concerned that we weren't talking about the same quest. It turns out that we were, and my "legacy" style assassin (with the addition of the traplike skills from other classes, and no martial arts, had just the right set of skills to keep the mobs at bay while freezing and frying them with fire and ice traps, not to mention that the layout allowed characters who could leap or teleport several areas of relative safety. I would leap to such a location and pop a town portal, the others would go back and then come out of my portal, and we would fight off the flying mothmen creatures while my traps dealt with the Yeti-like creatures and Ogre Magi. Certainly had a bunch of cool new effects and a wider variety of character skill trees. (More or less open selection of various trees.) I was able to make a decent hit and run assassin, much more in line with my own play style than even the legacy character (Which were still available.) Having a couple of hulking tanks to keep the flying creatures away made the quest much easier than the first time I'd tried it. When the mobs thinned out a bit my tanks hopped back through the portals and waded into the fray to finish off the stragglers, ten times faster than my method, even though there were three times as many creatures and more champions (who were immune to my "shadow" skills I'd just outrun them last time.) Everyone leveled by the time we were done, myself about 3 levels! I'd not even leveled the first time through, because I'd slipped past 4 of five champions and completely eluded all but one or two mobs.

After the excitement of the game I was back in the person of Bink the Goblin Blacksmith. I was headed to High School, and was completely unprepared. Imagine my surprise when the campus security took me to the Dean, who confiscated my hammer and tongs, a dagger, and 4 throwing shivs, and a scribing tool (Now just how was I supposed to write on my wax tablet without that!) When he got to the point of asking me to take off my hobnailed boots, well that was all I could stand. I wanted to jump up on his desk and smash his head, but I remembered that I was some sort of good will exchange student, so politely kicked him in the knees. I can't imagine why he was howling so much, it wasn't that hard a kick. The second and third ones were even milder. "I'll find out what I need from the counselor, and we'll try again tomorrow." I picked up my stuff and made my way back out of the school. No one bothered to stop me. I couldn't help but feel that somehow the modern system of education had somehow failed me. I was resolved to make an effort to conform, tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home