.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Churching Up and RC Flying Saucer

Nan dragged me to a church where I was the only one in a shirt and tie (at her insistence.) The service included this very long "musical" interlude where people were singing "Who's a blankity blank blank?" followed by a triumphant self assuring "I'm a blankity blank blank!" where blank was filled in with some sort of vaguely positive reinforcement. Some other long haired grey templed guy came up to me and suggested we sing "Who's a grey templed longhair..." I wasn't going for it.

Later I was flying an RC airplane with a circular monowing design, it was red and white with the engine in the center of the craft. It was very agile and had a couple of small cameras mounted on it so you could fly it by sight from the craft if you wanted. Normal focal length in the front and wide angle to the rear and sides. We were flying along a boardwalk from a private patio overlooking the thin rocky strip leading to the ocean. One of the controllers gave out and I ended up stalling out just as I would have slammed into a light pole, but the center lift motor provided enough braking that the craft only slid down about 8 feet or so slowly to the ground. It was a survivable crash, no further damage other than cosmetic. We jumped the wall and recovered the craft, I didn't actually see anything but scratches on the wing surface. Both cameras worked and the servos all seemed to be fine. It really was the controller. I suggested that we needed something more robust, like a computer game controller. Especially if we were going to fly from in front of the monitors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home