.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Diablo IV MMO

In a dream a couple of nights ago I started playing a character who was part Necromancer and part Sorcerer. While I don't really remember much of that dream, other than lots of minions and a long burning beam of liquid fire. I know that last nights dream was a continuation of that game character and game world.

I was in a huge underground system of tunnels and caverns with decorated pillars supporting the redish decorated roof and a fairly open set of paths between the large encounter areas with blue and silver inlaid tile floors and large firepits with piles of ash and only occasionally bonfires. There was a large "dig" area at the entrance to the zone, and there were numerous other players there. I had made my way around to where the final boss was, but when I had him down to about 60% he spawned the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and being a bit squishy I decided to kite them out of the room, and in so doing got almost back to the "Dig" site before I could finish the last one. I raced back to the final room, but the boss had reset, and my minions who'd been engaging him were just standing around.

I hopped on the chat and asked for any sort of tips, only to be told that my character would never be able to solo the end encounter, sorry, but no one had done it with a Necromancer. I ported back to the "Dig" just in time to take part in a server event where diggers uncover a mummified demigod, mad, of course, and they were really glad to see me as, apparently, this was an event that could not be beat without a Necromancer character like myself. Apparently I was the only one of my class online out of the nearly a hundred folks currently playing. We went to war with the mummified undead and their spell summons. I rapidly discovered why I was needed. I could wrest control of their minions from them and allow them to decay or send them back into the fight (I was of the latter sort of Necromancer) and the battle was glorius and detailed and ebbed and flowed for the better part of an hour. When it was said and done, I had nearly seventy minions!

One of the characters, a Sorcoress offered to port me and my minions anywhere. So I opted to go back to the final boss room. When we got there my minions were arrayed in a semi circle around the landing zone in five platoons of fifteen critters each, very elegant looking. The encounter went far better than expected with that many minions, I managed to get him down to about two percent before I had to evacuate the room. Apparently the death penalty in D4 is quite severe (I know I wasn't playing in Hard Core mode, so not as severe as it could have been.)

The player who was playing the sorcoress apparently had stayed in observer mode the whole time and met me back at the Dig. I asked if she had any advice, and she said that looked amazing, the only thing she could think of was to let her know the next time there was a mummy event, she would contact her guild and they would come in and make sure I was able to get every possible minion out of the event so I could try again. She also offered to group up to do the event, even though the awards wouldn't be as good and I wouldn't get the solo badge, I could at least move on into new content. I accepted the first offer, but asked if I could take a rain check on the latter, at least until the next expansion was announced. I really did want to solo the event if I could. "Well, you'd be the first Necro to do it, so that would be cool." She then threw up a guild invite, saying "I know you're a casual player, but I'll vouch for you, we'd be glad to have you along whenever you can make it."

All in all a very positive wishfull thinking dream adventure.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home