.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Robot Shark, Split Personality Dating

The dream was in a future where one could have robots made to do almost any domestic task, and they could take nearly any form. I had an auxillary self, a duplicate, really, who served as my spare brain. It (he?) was a labcoat wearing, thickly bespectacled version of myself. Over the years, he'd become my primary face for dealing with the world, since he didn't age and was always in great shape.

Inspectors arrived, however, and I knew there would be trouble. My other robot (or one of my other robots) was a large housekeeping shark. It "swam" around the grounds picking up after my robot avatar and myself, cleaning the floors and other horizontal surfaces, and generally screening the folks who arrived unexpected at the front door. I think it was that last duty that had gotten us in trouble. The shark robot had very realistic looking teeth. Several rows of them, actually, it was modeled on a Great White shark, the last one in captivity had died a few years earlier, so I had the robot made in its honor.

The inspector was a woman I had met at a convention. Middle aged, but still full-lipped and dark haired with high cheek bones and bright blue eyes. I was fairly certain this was actually a robot avatar much like my own. We'd hit it off, or rather my avatar and hers had hit it off. For the inspection she was really present, as the government was restricted from using avatars to conduct business. Even though she'd come to put my guard shark down, she was kind enough to let us give her a tour of my home. She was quite impressed, and really didn't want to destroy my sharkbot after seeing it in action. However, she had a job to do.

After we dissassembled the shark and converted it into a strangely disjointed  cubist version of itself; three sections without sharp teeth or razor fins that were connected by shimmering cables. She recertified the guard shark as "safe" and allowed me to keep it. It still swam through the house, but looked more like a trio of battered Star Wars robot rejects leashed together and bobbing along comically.

The Inspector agreed to go out with my avatar and myself after the neutering of sharkbot was complete.  As dinner ended she expressed confusion about her feelings of affection, I reassured her that it was okay to love us both, since, really, we were just one person. Oddly enough, this seemed to satisfy her and the evening ended with a great kiss, or two of them, actually.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home