.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

If it's Six AM, then I'm Already Late!

This time change always takes me quite a bit to get used to. It throws the cats off, too.

In my dream I woke to the pawing of hungry cats. It was pitch black save for the glow of the alarm clock.(Which I found odd, since I knew, even in the dream, that I'd removed the lamp from the clock years ago.) I fumbled around and picked up the clock in one hand and found my glasses with the other. The time was just a moment before six AM. Panic coursed through me, apparently the light on the timer was still off (I shut it off so I can sleep in on the weekends. I know I'm not supposed to, but I think the cats have come to look forward to sleeping in as much as I do.) My heart started racing and I tried to roll out of bed, but found that I couldn't move.

I realized this was a false wakening, and woke myself up, only to discover that I couldn't move my arms and legs at all, the timed light was on, the cats were in the other room singing "The Breakfast Song" and generally knocking things about. I heard a helicopter overhead, the beat of the blades rattling the windows so that it was impossible, from inside the house, to hear anything but the vaguest "wanh, wanh wanh..." of the P.A. system. I hoped it wasn't something serious - like an evacuation notice.

Then everything was blue and yellow swirls around a translucent silvery egg about the size of an armchair, but narrower. I couldn't tell if I was the silvery egg or the swirling tendrils of color. I seemed to be outside of the whole scene but somehow fully contained as well. I was thinking that I didn't have time to figure this out, because, it's... if it's six AM, then I'm already late for work!

I struggled out of the paralysis, checked the headboard clock, and it was indeed a few minutes after six, so I tossed off the covers, scattering the cats, and raced out into the kitchen to feed them. I couldn't find their bowls, however, and there were two new tables each with a set of four matching chairs in the front room that I'd never seen before. That explained all the weird knocking around sounds from earlier.

"Who would break in and leave furniture" I fumed aloud to no one.

It dawned on me that it was Sunday, and somehow that made it all okay, especially since I wouldn't have to drive to work naked.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home